1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 31 TC value

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bridger, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

I've come across a 31TC that has been completely refinished, both bluing and wood and done very nicely. Its beautiful, wood has very good figure. Its a late model gun. The owner hasn't put a price on it yet. This is only the second TC I have seen and both had very heavy trigger pulls, about the heaviest I've ever encountered. Is that normal? Can it be smoothed out? What value would you put on this gun?

2. 333t

333t Member

The 31tc's are nice trap guns but they are not known for having great triggers. I have two, one is an early small trigger guard model and it has a decent trigger. The other one is a later model (large guard) type 41 that came with a custom trap trigger that is excellent. I also have a standard (all steel) trigger assembly for the later one and it has a heavy pull.

A friend of mine recently purchased a late model 31tc with the aluminum trigger assembly and it had a very heavy trigger. A gunsmith was able to lighten it up some but it is still not very good. I think the all steel assembly is definitely preferable over the aluminum version. I am quite sure a good gunsmith could lighten up the steel trigger satisfactorily. Some later 31 models had an alloy receiver but I don't believe any of these were tc's. I would avoid the alloy receivers for trap use.

As to value, I would say that for an original gun with matching numbers on barrel and receiver, in nice shape with the original wood and no modifications, you will be in the $800-$1000 range or even more. A professionally refinished gun will probably be in about the same range. There are always bargains to be found but the price on these has been going up due to scarcity and the fact that are very well made and a lot of fun to shoot.

Phil

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

love those 31's i shoot a 31 TC most of the time, have other toys i play with LC Smith Lefever etc. but usually old faithful [31 TC] . they do have an unusual trigger in that it pulls kinda up & back, had mine worked on by by Timney didn't change it much tho a little lighter pull maybe. Oh well live & learn, i have other 31's field grades, & i seem to go back &forth without too much problem. if it has been shot a lot make sure it locks up tight as they have a tendency to shuck themselves after 200,000or 300,000 rounds. slickest pump ever made, they weren't called the ball bearing pump for no reason. as to value in good shape all # 's match, no choke modifications or other ?able things, $500 & up. i think you will like it. if not please let me know as i am always looking. remember you gotta pay for all 25 so you might as well breakem all. ross

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

love those 31's i shoot a 31 TC most of the time, have other toys i play with LC Smith Lefever etc. but usually old faithful [31 TC] . they do have an unusual trigger in that it pulls kinda up & back, had mine worked on by by Timney didn't change it much tho a little lighter pull maybe. Oh well live & learn, i have other 31's field grades, & i seem to go back &forth without too much problem. if it has been shot a lot make sure it locks up tight as they have a tendency to shuck themselves after 200,000or 300,000 rounds. slickest pump ever made, they weren't called the ball bearing pump for no reason. as to value in good shape all # 's match, no choke modifications or other ?able things, $500 & up. i think you will like it. if not please let me know as i am always looking. remember you gotta pay for all 25 so you might as well breakem all. ross

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

If you have an extra ugly field grade stock for sale let me know. We have a 31 field that we use for the trap team, but the stock has been shortened significantly. If we can pick up a regular field stock, it might work for a different length shooter. Thanks Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rem 31tc

remington model 31 tc trap aluminum trigger guard