1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 31---or 870??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What is the better of the two? Good points and bad?

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Model 31 is soooo much smoother in its slide action. This won't mean much unless you shoot doubles. They also have a tendency to be a bit pricey these days for a nice one.

870's on the other hand are a dime a dozen and be had in more variations. They run about half the price in comparable condition.

Buy an 870 for everyday shooting and have a 31 for when you want to shoot it.

ec90t

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

31 is smooth as silk, hard to get parts. 870, most manfactured shotgun ever made.

4. mike b.

mike b. Member

The Model 31 has a flaw in the later models....a pull up trigger. If you're used to pulling the trigger rearward, you can have a no-fire situation. If you consciously pull the trigger up and rearward, it fires! Try to do that and concentrate on the target...it sits mostly in the safe! mb

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

It's not a flaw, Mike. If you'll take the time to check...most shotgun triggers move up and back to some degree. For most people it's not a problem. I don't even notice it on my three.

Buz

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ducks, yes I do have one and shoot it frequently. 31-tc. My reason for asking was to get comparisons to the 870 trap guns. Never shot one of em, so just asking.

Thinking bout getting it refinished. Have heard that a gun can only shoot as good as it looks. Must be the reason for my low scores.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

i don't think there was ever a better gun made than the M31,---- m12 fans may disagree, but Rem. had many years to study and improve between 1912 & 1931 when they brought out the 31,its not called the ball bearing action for no reason.

i have had several m12's very good shooting guns, i just feel more comfortable with 31's. also have 870's, but still shoot old faithful 31TC, as to trigger pulling up & back a little i don't seem to have any problem,going back & forth i seem to shoot either one about the same (poorly).all of the posts had good info also. shoot well & remember they won't give any refunds so you might as well break em all. good luck in your choice of guns. ross

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Remington Model 31, smooth action, all milled parts, and great shooters. Most all parts are available with the exception of ribbed barrels and extra wood. Availability of internal parts not an issue for you will likely never need 'em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.