1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem-31 Inquiry

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RayReys, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayReys

RayReys Member

Since we're on the subject of the 31 lately:

Long story short, I recently bought an early 4-digit serial (2xxx), Model 31 with a Simmons ribbed 32" (full, serial on bbl matches receiver) and RH rollover comb off a good buddy of mine (I had initially told him about this 31 and a 31T last year, and reminded him earlier this year, when I found them listed on a local shop's site... and that since I couldn't buy one or both of them, he should (with the hope that I could buy it off of him if he ever wished to part with it :D )...

It's in decent shape, used but not abused. The bluing is faded in some places and there's quite a bit of wear. The original stock set has some dings in it, but it's okay. My buddy told me that he had to clean decades of gunk out of it when he first got it, but that it was a smooth as silk (and a pain to put together). The mid (more like 1/3) bead is but a figment of rust, but the rib is okay and the front bead is good.

Anyways, to all the 31 gurus out there -

Can anyone figure out who may have done the stockwork? I'm a lefty, so I recently put a monte carlo on it (Macon semi finished stock for 75 bucks)...although I did shoot it with the RH comb left handed for last month's club shoot on singles(wasn't that good of an idea).

I thought it was just my mind, but after cleaning it today, I definitely think the barrel is bent upward just a tad...was this an old POI trick(IIRC?) or did a former trapshooter get mad one day? I haven't patterned it (don't really pattern at all) but it smokes targets like no tomorrow, so I'm not worried, but it is interesting.

How prevalent were 32" guns, and were any 32"s ribbed from the factory?

I love this thing so far, and while I'm not doing that well with it on singles, I mustered my best doubles score (46 - 25pair) just the other day with it.

Before:

rayreys_2011_080915.jpg

Now (15 coast of tru-oil (armor-all trick).. not quite done on the finish though - not as pretty as the pic implies and you can't see my crappy woodworking and finishing skills haha):

rayreys_2011_080914.jpg

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

No
    Yes
    Rare and probably
    Nice wood you put on it.
    Looks like it has the early pull steel trigger assembly. Ya got a winner.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Probably a Fajen stock. Your gun is a keeper

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Original rollover looks like a Bishop to me.

I have not seen very many 32" in my years.

In that era bending a barrel was not uncommon. Not everyone could use a flat shooter.

5. RayReys

RayReys Member

Cool, thanks all for the info!

Here's a couple more for fun and reference:

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Do not see any new pics here Ray?! Tom Rhoads

7. RayReys

RayReys Member

Dangit- I lost connection mid-upload last night- will upload again tonight

8. RayReys

RayReys Member

Here We Go, now my connection's back haha

rayreys_2011_080917.jpg

rayreys_2011_080918.jpg

rayreys_2011_080919.jpg

rayreys_2011_080920.jpg

9. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

For Cuban: You will note the posts and the simmons stamping on this rib! Mine does not have either! Mine looks like the rib/barrel were machined out of the same bar stock! Tom Rhoads

10. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Sweet gun. How much you asking for it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.