1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1187 Premier Trap ---- BLOWS UP -----

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by krieghoff200, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krieghoff200

krieghoff200 TS Member

With everyone jumping on the band wagon about a K80 blowing up, I figured that i had better share the pics of my son's 1187 premier trap that literally exploded while was shooting a summer league in western NY.
    At the time he was 13 yrs and had run the first house and was part way thru his second round when he shot at the target, broke it and then all of a sudden the gun exploded. Parts of the gun hit the shooters on either side of him and parts of the forearm were found on the next trap field approx. 40 yards away. I was not there with him that nite, but from everyone that was there (a NRA instructor and a NY State 16 yrd Champion as well as several fellow shooters), who said they had never seen anything like it ever. Thank God my son was not seriously injured, however he sustained a broken thumb and the skin burned on the palm of one hand and several wood slivers and a broken little finger on the other hand.
    All the parts of his gun were given to me in a target box as you can see from the pics. and the remaining shells from his pouch were cut open and examined and found to be what most would consider a lite target load.
    After all this i was very surprised that he wasn't gun shy, but with a soft cast on he went out the next week and ran a 49/50. Since then he has gone on to recieve a sponsorship from Krieghoff and a college scholarship to Lindenwood University where as a Freshman he was the Collegiate National Trap Champion. He is now in his senior year and has been part of the Lindenwood Dynasty for the last 3 yrs. Go Lions !!!!!

Steve White...krieghoff200

sorry couldn't upload pics...but MIA is uploading them for me

See not only expensive K80's Blow up !!!!!!!

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wow. Is there still time to glom onto that old class-action suit? Or mebbe we can start a new one?

I have a Rembleton barrel or three. I want my check for .27 cents, too!

3. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

This story sounds like ancient history. Blow ups don't count unless they happened in this century.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Hmm...I find it hard to believe that a parent whose kid got broken bones from a gun crack up, wouldn't sue the gun company and tell us the result...unless it wasn't the gun company's fault?

Sounds like there's more to this story?

5. krieghoff200

krieghoff200 TS Member

buzz...remington settled with him for an amount that cannot be disclosed because of legal agreements and yes they tried to say that it was the reloaded shells.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wow! It busted right in the chamber, the thickest part. M-m-man!

Dayum.

7. krieghoff200

krieghoff200 TS Member

mec 9000 at that time....2001
    16.4 grains of nitro100
    aa 1 1/8 oz wads
    rem 209 primer

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A pretty typical area for a 1100 to blow out. I know little about the 1187 but this photo shows something I've seen about 6 times during my 35+ years around trapshooting. I had a receiver that cracked from the forward of the ejection port to forward edge of the receiver.

Remington replaced it immediately I was told to look for cracks there every time I wipe it down. I suggest you all do the same.

On the bright side. There's probably more 1100's and their off spring than any shotgun ever made. Some of them are bound to fail. Problem is that when they do they sometime take the end off the pinky and the ring finger.

Keep checking that receiver, often..........Barry

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I cut several old AA's open the other night and they all looked like that and these were once fired hulls. If something is missing from that hull someone clue me in. Jackie B.

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 TS Supporters TS Supporters

How much for the link ? Jeff

11. krieghoff200

krieghoff200 TS Member

Jeff...ask remington... they wanted the gun as soon as they could get their hands on it

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Steve, congrats to you and your fine son! In your third picture, at the top of the chamber, there looks to be a stress crack? Makes one wonder if stress cracks were responsible for the blow-up. 7,8 or 9000 pounds of pressure wanting to escape the confines would be tough for any stress cracked chamber to withstand.

It would have been more entertaining if you'd told Rem., after they said they wanted it, that you have test results from Whites Testing Labs on the gun? :) Hap

13. canyonman

canyonman Member

I've been reading with interest the recent information on gun blow ups and was

curious about this particular shell. Bruce Bowen gave the opinion that a high

velocity gas leak through an existing stress crack may be responsible for many

more receivers exploding than problems with base wads causing obstructions.

Looking at the primer in this shell, it looks as though the firing pin might

have punched through. Could this cause or be part of why a high velocity gas

leak developed leading to the catastrophic failure? Comments welcome.

Bill

14. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Checking your load data, with what you posted puts chamber PSI over 12,000 psi and that is way over max load, it's no wonder that the gun blow up, the gun was pushed to the max every time the trigger was pulled it was just a matter of time went it was going to let go .I'am glade your son wasn't badly hurt it could have been worst.Data checked from accrate loading manule.

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

"mec 9000 at that time....2001 16.4 grains of nitro100 aa 1 1/8 oz wads rem 209 primer"

Hmmm....according to Accurate data, this load is 1 full grain over their highest listed load for AAHS hulls. Being an "old" style hull, I wonder if that load wasn't too strong. I like 15gr of Nitro100 pushing 1 1/8oz of shot for a "light" load.

AndyH

16. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Was the new style hull being used by Win in 2001? I thought it was later than that.

17. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Send what ever you like to Remington, they will say it was the re-loaded ammo.

And I will bet $.10 Winchester says the same thing( don't laugh that's all the money I gotts)!

I am glad to hear that your boy and the other shooters were not seriously hurt and he is still shooting.

Rock

Jim

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

See link for Nitro 100 data.

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You will notice that the primer has been ruptured, thats a sign of excessive pressure.

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Anybody find the empty from the shot right before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.