1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 trap ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Why is it considered that a TRAP 1100 receiver is better to use for trap than a 3" mag receiver---I'm told that the mag receiver is built stronger and should do the same effect as a trap receiver---Why?---George

2. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

George, the magnum receiver just has a heavier action bar sleeve. You know the metal cylinder that rides on the magazine tube. Also the magnum barrels have a longer chamber and one gas port instead of two. Hence, the receivers aren't much different; just the action bar sleeve and the barrel are different on the magnum guns.

Hit 'em hard,

John

3. 121083

121083 Member

The trap designation on the reciever meant that the gun was fitted with trap wood, either a montecarlo stock or a flat trap stock which each had higher combs than a field gun, they were fitted with a 30" fixed full choke barrel with a 2 3/4" chamber, until later models which some were over bored and had choke tubes, and the barrel had the bradley bead system, two beads, the middle being silver and the front being white. I do not even see a difference on the scrolling on the receiver. I have used both field grade receivers and magnum receivers to build trap guns out of. The barrel and the stocks being the difference. And also the action sleeves on the magnums. But have found that with a two gas port barrel and a magnum action sleeve that the gun will cycle correctly with light trap loads and it may help reduce some recoil. Just my observations. Thanks and good shooting.

4. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

By stating "receiver" I assume you mean only the bare receiver. That being the case the only difference is cosmetic. Originally the main action spring was stiffer but I think Remington only sells one spring for all now. My 3" mag Duck Gun wouldn't reliably cycle light target loads, even with a trap barrel, until I changed the spring and went to the lighter action bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.