1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 Trap or BT-99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tonygrz, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Need some advice on which shotgun to purchase. First a little background. I'm in my 60's and have gotten a little recoil shy. My doctor told me yesterday that I had bursitus in both of my shoulders. Sometimes it's painful to shot. I shoot reloads of 1 oz of shot, AA hulls, 16.1 gr of Red Dot with a pink WAA 12 SL wad. Recoil on this load is moderately light. Don't know speed since I don't own a chronograph.

The combination of reloading my own shells and making them rather "lite shooting" and using an either Rem 1100 or BT 99 I'm trying to figure out which shotgun would give me the lowest possible recoil.

The Rem 1100 being a semi-auto indicates it should shoot a little softer, but I think it's a little light in weight.

The BT 99 has a much more pleasing line but it's only claim to reduced recoil wouold be adding weight. At what point is a shotgun toooooo heavy??

Taking into consideration of adding weight to both shotguns, which one will give me the least recoil when the same amount of weight is added. Does the design of either shotgun reduce recoil better when weighted the same??

I really hope I made myself clear. I'll leave this discussion with the Rem 1100 and the bt 99. There may be others but I was trying to stay in a certain price level

Thanks for all your advice.

Tonygrz (texas)

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You can always add weight to an 1100.

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I own both;

1.) 1100 Classic Trap, made Sept. 2005, bought new Dec 2005. I bought it after shooting my wife's 1984 1100TA, oddly enough in 30+ years or shooting trap, I had never shot a full round with an 1100. The reduced felt recoil was a main factor in my choice to buy one.

2.) BT99 34" Adjustable, made 2005, rec'd, NIB, as a 30 year sevice award Feb 2007. I had always wanted a BT99, never got around to buying one.

Both guns are completely un-altered. A BT99 and an 1100 Classic Trap's listed weights are within oz.'s of each other, to me. the weight of an 1100CT is a bit more "foreward".

Recoil is an issue with me due to being prone to getting migranes, which can shut my shooting down immediately. That is my recoil issue, I'm 55 and except for being out of shape, I have no other issues that recoil would bother.

I can shoot the 1100CT all day without discomfort.

I like my BT99 a lot and can shoot it well but although the recoil doesn't bother my shoulder or face, it is JUST enough of an increase to bring the headaches on in some condition (my condition, certain weather conditions, both; who knows).

Example; in Sept there was a meat shoot out of town I wanted to attend. I woke up feeling hung over (which realy sucks, especially because I wasn't drinking). The day would have been a wash out if I didn't have the 1100CT, I went and shot, winning a couple events.

We have a couple young women at our club starting to learn the sport, shooting boy friends' Expresses, Mossbergs and an 8 1/2 pound o/u. They are young and keen and put up with the recoil but I let them try a few shots from the 1100CT, to quote the comment "I braced myself for the kick, but it wasn't there", not 100% accurate, all guns have recoil, it but conveys the impression they got.

The 1100CT's gas system requires more routine cleaning but mine will go 800 rounds+ of 700X reloads and not show a hint of slowing down.

4. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Put a Precision Fit Stock on the BT-99 and shoot all day......Don

5. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I've got a shooting buddy who shoots a BT-110 & an 1100, he has always shot better with the 1100, there are lots of these guns at all ranges try one & shootit when you can---if you go to an auto-loader I recommend going to a cleaner powder such as clays or claydot---fit is the most important aspect, get some small 5 lb dumbells & use them daily--I'm 65---you've got to build a little upper body strength to shoot----Phil

6. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I also have both and both were made in the mid 80's. I have many rounds through each gun and they have never given me any trouble. Both guns are so popular that I'm sure you could borrow one of each and shoot it a couple of rounds and see which one you like better. My thought is that you'll go with the 1100.

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

In my opinion the 1100 is the way to go. The older ones are better than the newer ones in my experience. You can go to almost any pawn shop and get one for around $400, which will be at least $300 under a decent BT-99 (a great gun, but not for the recoil-shy). You could put the extra money into making the stock adjustable and fitted to you, which will further cut the recoil. Put an empty hull (or two) full of shot into the magazine tube, add a little lead to the stock and you'll be set. You could shoot this gun for anything.

I'd also recommend the Clays powder; with it you can go an easy 500 rounds between cleanings.
    John

8. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

Another option to consider would be the BT99 Plus with the factory recoil absorber system, adjustable comb and adjustable rib it offers a lot. I've owned on in the past it they shoot very soft. I think there was one for sale on this site recently. Regards, Scott

9. major146

major146 Member

tony

I have an 11-87 (which is almost identical to an 1100) and I have a BT-99. Both shoot good but the BT-99 seams to break more targets. The 11-87 has considerably less felt recoil than the 99. I can shoot 4 rounds with the 11-87 and not feel it but if I shoot 4 rounds with the 99 my shoulder will remind me of the effort. I was able to shoot a barrowed 99 that had a Graco hydraulic recoil pad on it and the felt recoil was just like or less than my 11-87. As soon as I can put together some extra money I am going to have one installed on my 99.

An 1100 or 11-87 would be cheaper than a Bt-99 so if money is a big issue I would go with the 1100 or 11-87 to get the softer recoil.

Terry

10. wannaz

wannaz Member

I have a 13 yr. old who has been shooting a BT99 micro for the last year or so.He is by no means large for his age, kind of on the light and skinny side. He has never once complained about recoil with the BT. Normally he shoots 1 oz. gun clubs at I think 1185? feet per second. He has shot 1 1/8 oz. loads also with no complaints. From my personal experience, the BTs don't seem too bad for recoil, but as others say here, your mileage may vary.

11. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Thanks for all the great advice. I've convinced myself to go with an 1100 trap. With the money I save by not buying a BT 99, I can have an adjustable comb put on an 1100. Looks like a win-win situation for me. I've seen several 1100 and 11-87 trap guns on Gunbroker that look like just the thing for me.

Thanks again,

tony g (texas)

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Tony Bedore you go gun broker, Ask around you local clubs. I find if you know what your looking for ask around. I hooked up a fellow shooter with a nice XT buy asking around other clubs. Shooter bought new in Nov 06 Shot the 06/07 winter league. Now wants a 525sporter. 30" XT case and chokes 1800.00 I know he paid 2295. for the gun.

13. KenC

KenC Member

BT-99 was my first trap gun. Got rid of it when it UD'ed due to dirty inner-workings after only 1,500 rounds of factory AAs. Went on a 10 year hiatus. when I came back I got an 1187. Loved everything about it. Good cleaning with Break Free CLP every 500-600 rounds.

14. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Shoot both then buy the 1100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.