1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rem 1100 trap is it realy a trap gun only

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biggunone, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggunone

biggunone Member

I was told on this site that the rem 1100 trap is not realy a trap gun,and that you could use it on skeet,and sporting.Does any one know how this gun patterns.80/20,60/40 50/50 etc,any input would be helpfull,thank you.

2. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

biggunone,

Barrels are like people each one patterns differently...but a friend of mine has an older model that patterns near 100%.

It's FULL CHOKE - It's a great caps gun, but would stink at skeet.

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

With an adjustable comb stock and a 28" barrel with screw in chokes you can play all the games. HMB

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

An 1100 Trap (non Monte Carlo) with a skeet barrel is about the best pointing out-of-the-box skeet gun there is.

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

With an adjustable comb and different barrels, you can use your 1100 for any shotgun sports and even hunting. JM

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Back in the 70's when the 1100 was the most popular skeet gun, it was common practice to replace the stock on the skeet model with a straight trap stock.
    The theory was - and is - that you should always keep a skeet target above your barrel where you can see it.

7. 3on8

3on8 Member

The newer Classic trap guns seem to shoot lower the the older models.
    I sold the new and stuck with older model.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have two classic traps and they are about 60/40 or slightly lower. They do shoot rather flat. Not the very best for trap, but I have used them for sporting clays, skeet, and 5 stand with appropriate chokes. I used one for quail hunting and it was a great gun for that. The stocks are a little short for me, since my arms are fairly long, so LOP isn't a real issue. One is in the process of getting a high rib barrel and a Jack West Stock, so I'll be able to remedy the situation for trap a little. The other one is a good doubles gun. I still prefer a flat shooter to one that shoots 100% high. My 3200 shoots very high and is not a good candidate for anything other than trap. My older 1100 traps seem to be flat shooters, except one with a step rib that shoots a bit higher. The field guns are right about 50/50, or at least mine are. The addition of a Monte Carlo stock brings them up a little for me.

There are a lot of great shooters that use the 1100s for trap, so if it says Trap on it, or it has the right barrel and stock, it's a Trap gun. They can be modified to suit your preferences easily enough.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Fixed choke trap barrels would not make good skeet barrels.

10. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

I've used mine to shoot skeet, sporting, trap and to hunt with. Has adjustable chokes though.
    Travis

11. Brian in Oregon

BTW, for what it's worth, I use my 1187 trap gun for sporting clays. It has a monte carlo stock. The barrel is backbored, so it will never be more open than modified, so I swap on another, lighter, slightly shorter barrel with screw-in choke tubes.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Every Remington 870 or 1100 with either a straight trap or a Monte Carlo stock that I've ever measured has had nearly the same drop at the comb. The Monte Carlo stock's recoil pad area is lower, allowing the shooter to mount the gun higher in relation to his face, but the combs are the same height.

Ed

13. biggunone

biggunone Member

So if i buy 1100 clasic trap monte carlo stock,does it shoot a little high for trap and if he wants to shoot skeet or sporting we can change barrels to 28 or 30 in sporting barrel with different choke tubes.Question ths 30 in barrel that comes on the trap model IS IT the same barrel thats on the sporting model because it looks the same rib wise.Or i would just buy the 1100 comp or 1100 sporting but i like the monte carlo stock,and then have a adjustible comb put on it.

14. Brian in Oregon

Ed is correct. The combs are the same, the butt has been dropped on the monte carlo. It's an optical illusion that the comb is higher on the factory monte carlo stock.

15. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I, too, have an 11-87 Trap with the Monte Carlo stock. I bought it from the Silver Dollar earlier this year when they were selling off some club guns that had been used as rentals. It had a cracked forend, so I stuck one of the black plastic ones on it and the gun has never failed to function properly.

I found it a little too flat shooting for trap (and I shoot a flat-shooting Perazzi for trap) so I tried it for skeet and sporting clays.

It worked perfectly.

Bob

16. Landshark

Landshark Member

I have an 1100 Classic trap and a 12 ga Sporting. When I want to shoot spoting clays or skeet with my 1100, I just put the 28" sporting bbl on my trap 1100 and hit the course. My 1100 Classic Trap stock fits me better than the sporting model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.