1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 Trap Barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dolphin77, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I just got a new Rem 1100 Classic Trap....I don't like the barrel, the rib is too narrow and too low.....can anyone suggest a different barrel...Thanks Wc

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My recommendation would be the Hastings high-rib trap barrel that is sold by Shotgun Sports Magazine (URL above). The barrel is the old standard external diameter, is overbored to .740" and comes with a longer forcing cone and nice long choke tubes. Mine patterns very well and they look a lot nicer than the Remington barrel in the finish department. Like any standard-size barrel, it will require you to open up the wood on your forend a little for clearance.

The rib is not "high" like the current wave of high-ribbed guns. It is about twice as high as the Remington rib and tapers slightly in both height and width toward the muzzle. For some reason, there are no photos of the barrel on SSM's website but if you send me an email, I can send you a photo of the two barrels with the ribs against one another for comparison.

Ed

3. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The Hasting barrel is a much higher quality barrel than a new Remington barrel. I hate too say that but it is true even if the barrel is French made. The price is high also because of the dollar vs euro. I would try to buy an older step rib trap barrel they were great barrels just make sure the locking lug inside the barrel where the bolt locks up is in good shape. You can always get it welded up but I prefer a good original trap barrel.
    Buddy

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I too would highly recommend the Hastings trap barrel.

There was one for sale on here very recently for a very good price.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.