1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 Timney hammer pivot pin-Remove & replace

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jun 23, 2013.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I have a Rem 1100 steel timney trigger. Need to remove the hammer pivot pin so I can get the hammer and spring out so I can send the housing out for a reblue.

What's the best way to remove the old pin? Looks like drilling or grinding the old peen of may be the best/only bet, or possibly using a cutoff wheel and cutting it off from the disconnector side (going to replace the disconnecter anyways). I tried drifting it back out with a hammer and punch and some moderate blows, but it didn't budge, and I figured there had to be a better way.

Does anybody know if the OEM hammer pin will be a correct fit in the timney steel housing? Would hate to destroy the old one only to find out I'll have to have a new one fabricate from scratch to replace it with.

What's the best way to install/peen the new one in place? Any special tools that can be bought/made for this purpose?

Really wish someone made a screw-together pivot pin, it would be so much easier to remove and install. I've had thoughts of making one, but unfortunately I don't have access to a lathe right now to accomplish it. Maybe a future business idea for someone.

2. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use a small stone on a Dremel tool to grind the peen off of the pin then drive it out with a small punch. The factory replacement pin will work in a Timney trigger. I have changed several. To peen the new pin, use a Phillips screwdriver. Might have to start with a small one and work up to a bigger screwdiver. Be sure to have the other end of the hammer pin on top of a solid rod or similar item when peening the pin. Takes a couple of good hits with a hammer to peen it properly.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch. I was a little hesitant to try it, since my last attempt years ago at restaking a loose pin didn't turn out so well (factory aluminum housing, hit it wrong and broke the housing). I don't think there will be any danger of that though with a solid steel housing.

Search tags for this page

1187 hammer pin replacement

how to install hammer pin on remington 1100
how to remove a remington 1100 hammer
how to replace hammer pivot pin remington 1100
install remington 1100 hammer pin
remington 1100 hammer pin