1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 stock bolt?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I got older 3" 1100 at an auction. It looks like it may have been wet
    around the butt stock. The wood and finish by the pad is wrinkled.
    I have a good tool for stsock bolt removal but it won't budge. if i
    break the bolt can a new be installed easily? I know I can break it.
    i've put WD40 down the bolt hole to no avail.

2. abcd

abcd Member

try Kroil , its the best penetrating oil out there

3. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Have you tried using a 5/8 flat wood bit instead of a screwdriver it will give you more leverage using a pair of vicegripes on the flat sides of the bit to keep it from slipping. I hopes this helps.

thanks
    lee

4. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Palos shooter said what i didn't want to hear I made sa socket with a blade
    inside to fit the nut, it won't budge. Will keep trying penatrating oil
    got to give sooner or later. I wish there was some option other than sending
    back to big green.

5. gkinla

gkinla Member

Squirting oil down the hole and keeping the stock vertical will just run oil into the action. Hold the stock horizontal put in a few squirts and keep the stock horozontal with the stock nut slightly down hill. This will keep the oil in the nut area. Rotate the stock occasionally. Sometimes tightening a little bit first will break the rust free. Good luck.

Gary

6. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

To get oil to the thread on the nut take the trigger assembly out and slide the bolt back just a bit then at back of the link of the Action Bar Assembly spray some rust inhibitor down the tube it goes straight to the nut if you stand it on the butt plate. I hope this helps.

thanks
    lee

7. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Slide a metal rod into the stock with the end against the nut and tap the other end with a ball peen hammer 30 or 40 times very rapidly. Just quick, sharp little taps. Then get your tire tool out; the kind that is "L" shaped and has a socket on one end and a flat blade on the other. Side the blade-end down into the but of the stock--it should fit the slot in the nut easily. You now have plenty of leverage; however, if you need more you can slide a pipe over the end of the tire tool and crank away. The longer the pipe the more leverage...

Ray

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A couple of light taps with a brass punch and a drag link socket on a 1/2" drive ratchet has loosened every tough one I've encountered of the slooted style. The newer hex headed nut is usually an 11/16" hex and a thinwall socket does the trick nicely. I'd be careful about applying excessive force, since the tube is fitted to the back end of the receiver. If you loosen the tube, it needs to be repaired by someone with the right tools and knowledge.

If there is a hole in the center of the slotted nut, put a little penetrating oil in and set the gun with the muzzle end up. Do that a few times over a couple of days and rotate the gun as previously described.

Another theought is that someone could have put a little locktite on the nut. A little heat may help loosen that. Don't use a flame, but a heavy duty soldering iron may help.

Be careful not to crack the stock or soak it with oil and solvents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 bolt stock

rem1100 crack stock screwdriver

rem1100stocknut