1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100....receiver/ barrel slot pin???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scoutmaster, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

I returned my son's lefty 1100 trap to Remington Arms to have the receiver barrel slot pin replaced as it was totally worn away.

Remington says the pin is "Not Needed" but they are replacing the magazine tube. My question is if the receiver barrel extension slot pin is not needed
    why do they have them in the receiver. Who is right??

Greg

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The pin helps align the barrel when you slide it into the receiver, and helps prevent the barrel from torquing and twisting under stress, which will eventually crack the receiver.

Remington generally considers the loss of this pin to be a fatal flaw, and they will recommend you purchase a new receiver.

I'm not aware of anyone being successful in having them replace this pin, as there usually isn't enough meat to stake it back in place.

You can braze a new piece in (a piece of drill rod the right diameter would be perfect, or drill and tap the receiver and use a set screw in place of this pin (which is the route I would go, b/c it will be done forever, since the screw won't just fall out), but both would require a receiver reblue.

3. willing

willing Member

Mine was a little loose in that the barrel would retate a little. While researching I discovered one gunsmith who would replace it for $45.00. With shipping both ways it would end up $75.00+. I decided against it and used ?? a little piece of duct tape, works like a charm. I'm one of the big spenders.
    Can't remember the gunsmiths name, sorry.

Bill

4. mag410

mag410 Active Member

It is my understanding that the pin is there to aid in alignment while inserting the tang of the barrel into the receiver. It does nothing once the barrel is fully inserted. Once the barrel is installed a properly installed fore end support is what keeps the barrel from twisting.

I would not bother with it myself, but if you think you need to do something about it see the link above. It is to a listing I ran across on GunBroker for a repair job to replace the pin.

Michael Goines

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.