1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by showdawg, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

Will a Barrel that excepts 3" shells, fit a standard 2 3/4 reciever??

Thanks in advance

Showdawg

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    With the exception of some very old 2-3/4" receivers, yes, it will.

However, it is not a good idea to shoot 3" or magnum 2-3/4" shells in it because the bolt velocity will be too high, leading to battering of the receiver.

It is possible to modify a 2-3/4" action to shoot 3" shells. Simply swap out the lighter 2-3/4" action sleeve for a heavier magnum action sleeve. It would be a good idea to install a fresh action spring if that hasn't been done recently.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Brian. Your brain is full of data. How do you get anything new into it?

4. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

dont intend to shoot 3" shells at all, just wanted to be sure the barrel would fit my reciever before I buy it. found one that I can trade a skeet barrel for. The one in question came off a Magnum Duck but has been shot very little, mirror bore, & 32" long, thought I might try it for "stock gun" turkey shoots,

Hey Brian, are these barrels normally tight?

Showdawg

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Very likely it will have trouble cycling 2 & 3/4 inch loads. I know mine doesn't unless they are very snotty.

MAaybe that's good, you won't need a shell catcher.

HM

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Rem 1100 Question????

Showdawg, there are very few stock turkey shoots anymore. Probably 70% of the guns have been worked on in some way and most are not easy to detect. Most places just check the choke constriction and that doesn't mean anything. Guns that are backbored and sleeved to the inside diameter that the shoot allows and have chamber rings and the like are going to kill you in "stock" matches. Don't ask me how I know!

7. bill2

bill2 Member

Brian, will the 3" casing eject from a 2 3/4" receiver? Bill2

8. bill4807

bill4807 Member

You could take the barrel and 1100 to your range, throw in a shell, pull the trigger and observe the results. Too simple?

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    MIA, quote: <i>"Brian. Your brain is full of data. How do you get anything new into it?</i>

I'd like to think I'm a genius, but at 50 years old things are probably "falling off the back porch".

showdawg, quote: <i>"Hey Brian, are these barrels normally tight?"</i>

Tight? You mean tight as in choke? Or tight as in their fit to the receiver? Or tight for cycling? They came in various chokes. The fit to the receiver should be like most other barrels - not too tight, and not too loose. I'd rather have one a bit on the tight side than loose. Tight for cycling? It should cycle smooth, and be smooth without requiring a lot of force when cycled by hand.

halfmile, quote: <i>"Very likely it will have trouble cycling 2 & 3/4 inch loads. I know mine doesn't unless they are very snotty."</i>

It should cycle heavy game loads on up. It probably will not cycle heavy trap loads. It can be made to cycle lighter loads by opening up the gas ports, but then it should not be used for heavy loads after that.

bill2, quote: <i>"Brian, will the 3" casing eject from a 2 3/4" receiver?"</i>

The quick, short answer is yes.

Some very early receivers, no. And, I've found some brands of 3" ammo that won't eject from some 3" guns. I was rather displeased to find Remington 3" buckshot was hanging up on the ejection port of three of my 1187s. Go figure. I use Federal instead.

Keep in mind what I wrote above about needing a heavier action sleeve and possible a fresh recoil spring if you want to run a 3" barrel on a 2-3/4" gun.

BTW, Remington earlier in the decade made a special steel shot barrel for 2-3/4" 1100s. This barrel was chambered for 3" shells. Remington stated that it was OK to shoot 3" steel through it on a 2-3/4" action, but not 3" lead. The latter could only be used on a 3" magnum action. The reason for this is the heavier action sleeve on the magnum action. Unfortunately these barrels have been discontinued.

And, 1100 3" magnum actions, in my opinion, are the best action to build a trap gun on. Just install a trap barrel and trap stocks. The heavier magnum action sleeve dampens the recoil out more, making it softer than a factory trap gun. One drawback is that it may not cycle loads quite as light as the factory trap gun will, but the gas ports can be opened up to compensate.

10. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

showdawg,
    If your trade doesn't work let know; I am in the marker for a skeet barrel.

Ray

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Good answers Brian. I used my magnum action bar on my 1100 for trap and it seemed to dampen the small amount of recoil from my 1 ounce loads. It still allowed my gun to cycle my 7/8 ounce loads at skeet.

12. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Yes go to the Cabelas site and type in 1100 barrels.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

3" 1100 bbl. has 1 small gas port, 2&3/4" has 2 larger ports

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.