1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rem 1100 problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rifle guy, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I have a issue that I have not been able to diagnose. when the gun is shot with shells in the magazine about 1 out of 10 fails to come out of the tube. The bolt locks back and just leaves a shell restrained in the mag tube. I have tried winchester hunting loads, target loads, reloads, and remington paper #6,s all seem prone to this malfunction. when worked manualy it feeds fine and the shell catches actuate in what seems to be a proper manner.

any ideas?

thanks,
    Sawyer

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

2 quick items. 1) clean the inside of the mag tube. If it is rusty then scrub it and leave a thin oil coat.

2) the shell is hangin on the "latch" and perhaps in conjunction with the above situation. Pull the trigger and see if the latch is loose. If it is loose you may be able to solve the problem by gluing it back in.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Is interceptor latch working freely? Very old 1100s have an exposed interceptor latch spring. Those would sometimes get bent. Check the feed latch too.

And use BreakFree CLP.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One other thing to check is the action bars. I had a 1100 that would feed and then not feed. As the weather got colder the problem became worse. I noticed that if I manually worked the action bu pulling back on the action sleeve (the part that the gas rings push back) I could make the fail to feed happen or not happen simply by the small twist I put on the sleeve when pulling it back.

I had the action bar ans sleeve from my 1187 (same part #) and tried it. Feeding was normal.

I then followed up with what was happening by seeing that the one action bar had a small angle cut on the bar where it would push against the feed latch. Twisting the bar away, so the latch was not hit squarely, would cause the fail to feed. Twisting it the other way, pushing the small angled piece more firmly into the latch would allow normal feeding.

I took the action bar to a micro welder and had him add a small dab of hard chrome to the angled part and then brought the angle back to the proper angle but with maybe a 1'16" increase in height using a Dremel tool and normal feeding returned. The weld fix held for several thousand rounds but finally the bar cracked and had to be replaced.

All this was after cleaning, scouring, lubrication the magazine tube, follower and checking the spring for proper length. I also checked for dent in the magazine tube but there were none. That is another thing that might cause the problem. Using reloaded shells where the head is "dinged" might contribute to but you tried a number of different shells so that should not be the problem.

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

pyrdek - Yep, sometimes the notches in the action bar get worn. Sometimes a tiny dab of grease on the notch helps. Sometimes you have to replace the action bar.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Another thing that can cause sticking is the receiver surface where the mag tube follower rests against it gets peened over. This generally happens on very old guns with steel followers, with magnum shells or a lot of trap loads. If nothing obvious turns up, then check for this. (This problem never happens with plastic followers.)

7. TomB

TomB Member

RifleGuy....There's a little "L" shaped lever on the side of the action that moves up and down when the action goes backward. This "L" keeps the shell in the magazine until the slide lowers it to allow the next shell to be sprung out of the magazine. If the spring on it is broken or if it is corroded, it will not allow the shell to be released from the magazine.Or two shells may come out and jam. Check that and also be sure the magazine tube and spring are CLEAN. Tom B

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Care to give us what the actual cause of your problem was? It can help improve the knowledge of all of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.