1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 problem....solution

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigdogtx, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Got this message from a buddy, "I tried to go Dove hunting with my son and my 2o guage Remington kept hanging up with the spent shell? Any suggestions?". I am a Beretta guy so I have no idea on this from a Remington standpoint. Is it the "O" ring thing?

Thanks for your help. Jim

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you are saying it will not recycle then possibly the vent holes on the barrel are clogged. Murray

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I also found out that it was not "expelling" from the extractor. He was using Winchester field loads on a dove hunt.

4. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

1. try some different ammo. 2. Clean the gun and make sure the gas ring is in good condition and in correctly.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The o-ring AKA gas seal is the most likely culprit. You can get a genuine Remington viton seal for about $5 from Brownells or Midway or go to the hardware store and get a neoprene o-ring that is about the right size for about $0.50. Get a few spares. Check the condition of the gas seal by pulling off the fore end, and pull the barrel off, the gas seal should be resting in the grove on the magazine tube. If it's missing or found in pieces, the gun won't cycle.

Ammo brand and charge shoudn't make a difference unless your friend is using a 3" mag gun. I'm assuming the gun has worked for him in the past with field loads.

6. The Cedar Dell

The Cedar Dell TS Member

My 16ga 1100 would not eject and next round in magazine would release and jam into fired shell. Problem is missing interuptor latch retainer. Found new part at Numrich. Hope this helps, Hunter.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

first step is a DEEP cleaning. When was the last time the action spring,tube and follower where cleaned. Being a hunting gun......I bet it is all rusty in the action spring tube. google cleaning a browning gold. The method applies to the 1100 also

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

He might have cleaned the gun and when he put it back together he put the top split ring gas seal in upside down. HMB

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

A through cleaning and oiling should resolve the problem. Make sure the vent holes are cleaned .

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Dove hunting usually implies a lot of shooting. I would go to the gas seal/barrel vent area.

Use number drills, take out carbon till you get to the steel.

HM

11. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

99.9999% of the time it's the o-ring. Try the simple fix first.

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

seems like a lot of work to make a gun shoot like it is supposed to right out of the box etc..... have owned two, currently own.....significantly LESS than 2! guess why??

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Frank, don't like the 1100s huh. Guns are very dirty right out of the box. They need a deep cleaning before assembly and fire. most do not do that. The rust inhibitors they use on the guns is nasty stuff. especially brownings autos. Like the old permatex gasket tar. Oyeah check out a simple video.

14. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

This is just a thought but if you have a 20 gauge magnum, will field loads cycle it? Many field loads will not normally cycle a 12 gauge 3" magnum and you might have the same situation, but I am not that familiar with 20 gauge magnums. I have five 1100s, my 12 gauge trap and four 16 gauge field guns. I have never had a failure to cycle on any of the 16 gauges since I don't shoot them much (I use my 16 gauge Citori for skeet and trap practice) but my 12 gauge trap will fail to cycle after 600 or so rounds without a cleaning. By cleaning I mean complete disassembly right down to removing the trigger group and cleaning it with Remington trigger group cleaner. It will take you about 45 minutes to do a thorough job. Use your favorite gunk remover on the magazine tube and scrub it like hell with a stiff bristle brush such as a new toothbrush. Don't forget to clean inside the gas cylinder and clean out the two gas ports, I believe they take a #45 drill bit. Ninety nine times out of a hundred this will cure your problem but if not, have the latch checked by a gunsmith who is familiar with 1100s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.