1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 malfunction.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by big D, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big D

big D TS Member

I have a friend that has a 1100 Rem that will only fire one shot and then stays open. Cleaned and lubed and checked the bumper. Anyone know what could be wrong. Thanks Dave Inman

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

It's probably either a problem with the magazine follower or magazine spring or perhaps the magazine itself.

It could also be a bent or somehow defective carrier latch.

Easystreet

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Does the next shell come out of the magazine when the gun is fired? HMB

4. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

That is the right question. If a round leaves the magazine and ends up sitting on theh carrier, try replacing the carrier latch or the entire carrier assembly (two parts as opposed to one). If you still have trouble just buy a new trigger assembly. They are on here all the time for reasonable prices and aren't expensive brand new. After a gagillion rounds I had one that just decided it was too tired to work properly anymore.

5. big D

big D TS Member

Yes, the next shell comes out and just lays there uninterested.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Then the problem is probably the carrier latch. It has 2 little legs and is held in place by a pin. Check to see if one of the legs is broken.

You can also test it with a pencil. With the bolt open you can press the top of the latch and see if the bolt releases. This simulates the action of the next round coming out of the magazine tube and striking the latch. Keep your fingers clear of the bolt as it slams shut. HMB

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The problem could still be either related to the magazine or the carrier latch. Just because the shell comes out of the magazine and lays on the carrier doesn't necessarily mean it's a problem with the carrier latch.

The shell has to come out of the magazine with enough FORCE to trip the carrier latch. So, the issue is still unresolved, but almost certainly it has something to do with either (or both) the magazine and/or the carrier latch.

When is the last time (if ever) you've taken the recoil spring and follower out of the magazine tube and thoroughly cleaned the inside of the tube? If you haven't done this recently, now would be a good time to do it....... before buying new trigger assemblies and such. Also, a new magazine spring might be called for. They cost only a few dollars (about $6 I think).

Also, removal of the trigger assembly and a thorough cleaning of it wouldn't hurt anything.

Easystreet

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Did you clean out the gas ports? 2 small holes that get clogged with carbon and the gun will not function. Bulge.

9. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Last time I ran into this problem, it was a weak magazine spring.

10. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

Short version: remove forearm and make sure that the action bar assembly and action sleeve are not separated or separating.

Long version:

Can you push the bolt forward? I just went through a very similar issue with my daughter's 11-87. She would get part way through a round of trap and the bolt would get, in her words, "sticky". She could push it closed, but if she continued to shoot, it would jam hard open. This weekend I caught it at the point where it was getting "sticky". I took off the forearm and noticed that the "Action Bar Assembly" was starting to separate from the "Action Bar Sleeve". The assembly is connected to the sleeve by two small "fingers" that fit in the slots on the sides of the sleeve. One of the fingers was partially out of the slot and starting to ride up the side of the sleeve. Previously, when the gun would fail to allow the bolt to go close, these two pieces were separated. It looked to me that what happens when they separate is that the bolt is then allowed to get at a bad angle and jam in the receiver. I pushed the finger back in the slot and no more "sticky". I took the gun into a gunsmith and they ended up replacing the "Action Bar Assembly" under warranty.

Ron

11. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I've never seen a magazine spring that wasn't broken (usually due to corrosion) not have enough "umph" to trip the carrier latch on an 1100. Just my observations.

After a million orunds or so (well, maybe just a couple less), these trigger just seem to develop timing problems. If it's not something obvious on the trigger (a broken piece), try a different trigger in the gun (and your trigger in a different gun). This will determine if you have a trigger issue or something else. If it is the trigger, just replace the entire assembly and drive on for another million rounds.

Joe

12. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

If you have had the magazine spring out, make sure you put the follower in correctly. You can put them in backwards which will not push the shell out all the way properly.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BreakFree CLP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.