1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 Magazine Cap Weight Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Anthony12ga, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

I am considering putting a magazine cap weight on a 1100 and thought I read somewhere that too heavy of a weight could cause the magazine tube to crack.

Has anybody seen this happen?

I have a Mercury stock weight that I wanted to mount on a magazine cap.

Thanks

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Geez, how heavy of a cap did they install? Did it weigh more than five one ounce slugs or buckshot loads?

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I have used the Remington factory ones with no problem.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Cast a lead cylinder the size of a 12 guage shell and put it in the magazine tube in front of the magazine tube spring. It will be spring loaded and act as a great recoil reducer. Put an equal amount of weight in the butt stock and the guns balance will remain the same. HMB

5. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

YES I HAD ONE CRACK ON A LW20 GA. TOO MUCH WEIGHT I GUESS. I NOW LOAD A HULL TO THE TOP WITH LEAD AND INSERT IT IN THE OTHER END OF TUBE. I ALSO SHORTEN THE SPRING WHICH MAKES LOADING THE 2ND SHELL EASIER. THERE ARE MERCURY WEIGHTS WHICH WILL ALSO FIT IN THE 12GA TUBE. THERE ARE MANY THREADS WHICH PEOPLE SWEAR THAT THE MERCURY TUBES WORK VS FOLKS THAT SAY THEY WORK NO BETTER THAN JUST DEAD WEIGHT.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The problem with putting a weight inside of the magazine tube is that I am the only one who knows it's there. Much better I should have a tricked out looking shotgun to cast fear and trepidation into the hearts of my competitors.

7. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

The one I have is an 8 oz weight I believe. Does anybody know what the factory weighted caps are?

I have tried the 12ga hull filled with shot inserted in the mag tube and it worked well.

I did see where "fly" is selling an 18oz Beretta weighted cap. I thought that was pretty heavy for a cap weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.