1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem. 1100 Lubrication

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mark V, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark V

Mark V Member

Receiver wet or dry?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Wet. HMB

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Break Free!!!

Jerbear

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Wet with BreakFree CLP on the mag tube works for me. I stopped looking after I learned of BreakFree CLP, so there may be other newer products that work.

Most of the traditional favorites from past years don't work. They often worked pretty well as a powder solvent, but they evaporated off and left behind carbon adobe deposits.

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I just noticed that you said receiver. I don't lube the inside of the receiver nor the trigger group.

If the gun gets wet from shooting in the rain, I hose down the inside of the receiver and the trigger & bolt groups with WD-40 (WD ~ Water Displacement), let them air dry, then additional drying with paper towels, then a light wipe-down with BreakFree CLP on a rag.

For the inside of the receiver, wrap the paper towel and oily rag around a screwdriver or grasp with needle-nose pliers. Others use towels and rags wrapped about their fingers, but they end-up lubicating the receiver with a red body fluid. That drys, but clogs the action. You can tell those who do that by the embarassing red drips on their clothes.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Moving metal parts need to be lubricated. Otherwise they wear out, break, change dimensions or disintegrate prematurely. HMB

7. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

A little Breakfree in the rail tracks for the link and nothing else wet in the receiver.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

hmb - What you say certainly makes sense. It makes so much sense to me that every ten years I give it a try....to my chagrin.

biggreen - I tried that once when I got a new receiver for an 1100. I couldn't believe how much that little bit of BreakFree splashed over every nook and cranny of the bolt, action bar, and trigger group. Being the wonderful powder solvent it is, it got down into every crack and loosened up incredible bits of 30 year old powder residue...all of which seem to find find new homes in places where they caused problems.

9. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

REM OIL. I even use it on my sewing machines.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Break free, The life blood of the gas guns. Heck it even helps to keep those recycled beer can beretta auto jammers working.

Jim

11. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Breakfree everywhere after a thorough bath in kerosene. I do put a little dab of a good quality gun grease on the rails at each cleaning which is approximately every 1,000 rounds. One failure in 17,000 plus rounds and that was a broken firing pin spring. About a dollars worth of parts.

Mike

12. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Clean all the gas parts inside the forend every 500 rounds and leave completely dry. Don't forget to clean the gas ports with a piece of wire or a small drill. Spray clean the bolt and interior of the receiver with WD40 or whatever else you like, then wipe nearly dry, also every 500. Smear a small amount of auto grease in the rails on inside of receiver. Careful! Sharp edges on the rails inside of receiver will slice fingers. Remove the trigger group every 5000 rounds, spray with your favorite cleaner, blow dry and spray again with Remoil. Wipe off excess.

Wife's 1100 Skeet-B has operated flawlessly since 1977. Some 1100s, or maybe it's the owners, eat o-rings. Hers is still running the original one. Must be well past 50K rounds, not one part replaced yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1100 rem lubrication

sharp rails inside the receiver remington 1100