1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ed Pawlus, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Pawlus

Ed Pawlus TS Member

Is it possible to go to my local industrial supply house and find the "O" rings for the 12ga and 20ga? If so does anyone have the dimensions?

2. tachyon

tachyon Member

12 gauge is:

a size 21 Viton o-ring acquired from an auto parts store.

A size 33 plumbing o-ring from Ace Hardware works too, but they're
    Neoprene, and you should change them once a year even if they look good.
    About 33 cents each.

The size is AS568A-021

In either case, the dimensions are:

15/16" ID 1 1/16" OD 1/16" cross section

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Order size -021 in Viton material for the 12ga. A bag of 25 is under $6.00. Order 5 bags for a bigger discount. You can measure the 20ga and check the dimensions. I think they are a number -019, but don't quote me on that.

All O Rings Viton

These are OK for replacement. Not quite as tough as the original Remington part, but they seem to last about as long. I replace them every time I clean the guns, since I bought a BIG bag a few years ago. The Neoprene ones from the hardware stores don't seem to do it for me. They'll work in a pinch, but I wouldn't depend on them when the scores count.

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

You can also order the o-rings in bulk from smallparts.com.

DoubleAuto

5. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Any of the above will work fine. I went to Home Depot with an original and matched up one as close as I could once in a pinch. It was slightly thicker than the factory one and as a result the barrel seated a little tighter on the magazine tube. I think that was about three years ago, and who knows how many shells.

Joe

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Wow Marlon, you need to work on that flinch buddy! You should try a release mouse or something. LOL

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Buy the Remington o-ring from Brownells. They are made from a tougher material and will last a lot longer. Stay away from the ones on eBay as they are junk. Put a few drops of BreakFree on the o'ring when you install it and the carbon build-up will be easier to remove.

Jim Skeel

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've been using the genuine Remington o-rings, which have a metallic sheen to them. I don't know what they're impregnated with, but they far outlast ordinary o-rings. Yes, you can buy a pile of cheap o-rings for the price of a Remington o-ring, but this is clearly a case of getting what you pay for.

9. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Marlon, Why would scotchbrite save Orings? they are fixed in the groove of mag tube as I recall. Correct me on this if I'm wrong. Regards..

10. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Hey Ed,

Where are you going to put that O-ring on your Kolar??? Maybe you know something that I should know?

We used to call those "speed secrets".

Cheers

Larry

11. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I have to go back to Home Depot and post what it is I bought there. Tough as nails and about 20 cents......

12. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

EE, I stand corrected. But why would the ring move out of the groove provided? Doesn't it just seal the barrel hanger? I am only going by memory on this so might be dead wrong. You're right bout the scotchbrite. The TinMan

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The o-ring doesn't move, or at least, its not supposed to move.

Its there to prevent the gases from escaping along the magazine tube towards the muzzle end.

And if you shoot it wet with Break Free CLP, you won't need scotch brite OR steel wool to clean the magazine tube.

Nothing wrong with the Remington o-rings. They're just way overpriced, for what they are.

Viton o-rings from NAPA work fine, and will last at long as the factory o-rings.

Neoprene o-rings work fine too. They just don't last as long.

14. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Marlon, scotchbrite is more like sandpaper, even fine grades. I used a light oil on the tube like tri-flo. it would turn black but still wiped clean with a cloth. Never needed abrasive. I have never had to replace Oring. Tournament Trap model, bought used. 25 yrs ago. Lucky I guess.

15. Ed Pawlus

Ed Pawlus TS Member

Thanks for all the replays. Was a big help........ED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.