1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 enlarge ejection port?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shoottens, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoottens

shoottens TS Member

I have a Rem 1000 classic trap. I shoot it for doubles only and used my own reloads. Sometimes the ejected hull doesn't make it throught the ejection port. It seems to get hung up on the rim of the hull. Any suggestions or should I have a gunsmith slightly widen the ejection port? Factory ammo ejects O.K.

Al Beggelman

2. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Before you go messing with the receiver check out your extractor. It could just need cleaning, or replacing? It could also be a gas seal, or a dirty gas port with reduced pressure shells? Or, it could be that you're "light-holding" the gun - letting it come off your shoulder a bit between shots - on occasion?

If it's happening late in your round, it could also just be from shooting a 'dry' action with a dirty burning powder? Lightly wet down the mag tube with CLP or Slip 2000 under the action sleeve and around the gas piston assembly.

In any respect, the receiver port is the last place I'd look. This is the sum total of 46 years of 1100 experience.

IME,
    Kip

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If safe, go up a bushing. Shoot wet with BreakFree CLP.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sounds like the problem lies with the pressure and powder charge of your reloads. If you like your reloads and don't want to increase the powder charge you might consider enlarging the two holes in your barrel by one size. You said your gun ejects fine with factory ammo. Start by going up 1 bushing size for your gun powder.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you have never replaced the action spring (in the stock) it may be time.

$4.60

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Never seen or even heard of an 1100 that needed a larger ejection port.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The ejection port of the early 1100's were different from 2 3/4" and 3".. Yep.. I lengthened more than a few to shoot 3" shells.. with mag. barrels.. Shy of that.. don't cut the ejection port.. It's worked fine.. just the way it is.. for over 50 years..

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Fix the problem. Enlargening the ejection port is simply a bandaid.

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Gunsmith

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.