1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rem 1100 bolt buffer question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ernesto1, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Happy holidays everyone!

I have an 1100 Classic Trap that had originally been owned by Aaron Nelson of the Country Gentlemen.

I replaced my bolt buffer with a black one from Brownell's. I had no problem drilling a new hole in the buffer to fit into the bolt. However, I noticed that my old buffer had a concave surface around the firing pin. The new buffer is machined flat across the entire surface. Is the concave surface a result of wear or does my new buffer need to be chamfered to resemble the old one?

I thought I would ask prior to assembly and firing the gun.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/information.

Darryl

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You will be fine. If your old buffer was damaged, you might replace the action spring while you are in the gun.

3. missemucho

missemucho Member

Be sure to check the firing pin spring and ensure that the pin moves freely. If it binds, it can hang up the bolt and possibly damage the portion of the receiver where the bolt locks up (don't ask me how I know this, please)!
    John

4. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Thanks for the input. I replaced the action spring and the firing pin spring with those from J&P springs. I checked the firing pin for free movement. All seems fine.

Thanks again, Darryl

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The chamfer around the hole is to prevent the buffer from swedging(from repeated hammer strikes) into the firing pin, causing it to stick.

Doug

6. Ernesto1

Ernesto1 Member

Doug aka GunDr, should I make a chamfer of some sort in the new buffer to replicate the original? I could possibly do this with a reamer or large drill bit.

Thanks for you input.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You could even use a pocket knife.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rem 1100 buffer