1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 barrel comparison question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by milkmaster, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milkmaster

milkmaster TS Member

Was I ever confused while seeing the two barrels laid side by side in comparison! Please read on...

I just purchased a three year old Trap Classic 1100, cleaned it up really nicely and was admiring it before closing the case. I decided to compare my field grade gun's (also an 1100) barrel for differences in rib height, changes in elevation etc. The rib is exactly the same elevation and pitch while traveling down the tube. To my surprise, the only differences I can see is a white bead sight instead of a silver sight, the words "Target Contour" on the side of the barrel and two inches in length! My field barrel is only a 28" model.

So what gives? I was always told that trap guns tend to shoot high because of the target barrel. Is there really any difference in the barrels compared to field grade barrels besides length?

Can someone 'splain it to me why then a trap classic is any better than a field grade shooting clays except nicer wood and cosmetics? Is the inside of the barrel different?

Don't get me wrong. It is a beautiful firearm, and I am proud to own it. I just always want to know the skinny on any hobby I enjoy.

Replies are appreciated.

Land of the free,
    Because of the brave!

2. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I believe the higher POI is simply achieved by the raised comb on the stock
    on the newer 1100's. Older 1100's and 1187's that had a step or raised rib also had a much higher raised comb accordingly. I have both and they both shoot about the same. I prefer the older raised/higher comb set up for comfort, a little more weight and "the look"

Joe

3. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

How can you identify a stepped rib barrel? I have just purchased a Remington 1100 trap, and i am curious about the differance between the regular rib and the stepped rib.

4. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Thank you hairy and SkipC. My receiver is marked "Trap", but does not have the stepped rib. I just purchased this shotgun, and I am amazed at the way it will smoke a target. I can hardly wait to get back out to Maywood to try it again. Are the stepped rib variations a newer or older design?

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

The "Target Contour" barrel is what used to be and still kind of is referred to as the light contour barrel. It is actually smaller/thinner/skinnier than the field barrel. Be careful if your thinking of swapping barrels back and forth at some time since they can fit differently since the forearms are also different between a field gun and a target contour barreled gun. You can use a target contour barrel with a field gun forearm but your should not use a field barrel with a target contour forearm.

Other than that there is no difference in the barrels at all.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

To further complicate matters, the very early 1100 trap models had no step rib. (I had one, marked Trap). Later they had a step rib. I have one of those. The re-creation of the 1100 trap had the early style rib and was designated "Classic".

The Target contour barrel is indeed thinner, in an effort to improve swing dynamics via weight removal. Lumper's comment on swapping should be heeded.

HM

7. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

The serial number on this Remington Trap is L1611XXV. Does anyone have any idea of its date of manufacture? Thank you, Rodbuster.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Rodbuster I think that might have been manufactured on the 8th day of the 7th week of the 13th month in the year of aint gotta clue ... actually you could get any and all information about that weapon by calling Remington and giving them the serial number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.