1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rem 1100 20ga. wanted

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Interested in picking up a used 20ga Remington 1100 trap for the girlfriend. She's not 'thrilled' with the 12ga. Anyone looking to sell one?

B

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dont do it, take her to where there are other women shooting 12g. Went thru that with my wife. To me there is not a big enough differance in recoil between the gauges for trap.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If recoil is that big of an issue gun fit is a must. Then have her shoot these. They may or maynot cycle an auto. My wife has now been shooting the reminton universal game loads 1oz at 1290 out of browning gold sporting. to many cycling issues with the light recoil loads. Have her shoot some of the 1300fps 1oz hunting loads in 20g out of a 870, she will not like it.

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

My wife has the same issue. For her it wasn't the recoil but the gun weight.
    She does much better with the LT-20

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how much does a lt 20 weigh compared to a 12g 1100.

6. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

About two pounds less. And, the main factor is there is less weight hanging out in front being pulled down by gravity when the gun is mounted.

That is the main comfort issue for my wife. She can go fifty targets with an LT-20 but can't make a full round of 25 shooting a 12 ga. - yet.

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

I'm going to see if the GraCoil makes it a little easier on her and take it from there. She now tells me the BT is very heavy to her too. Would like to keep her in 12ga. Next time out will look for someone with a 12 1100 and maybe let her put a round or two thru it and see what she says. don't want no more unused gear laying around.

b

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

BT99, keep her on it. The heavy goes away with repetitions. Also some pratice mounting at home build up the muscles needed. The remington managed recoil loads in a BT99 should be nothing. Maybe you could load some custom loads or if you know somebody that loads. The managed recoil loads are tough to get in my area.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Maybe the ballistic guys can chime in here. I think a 1oz load at 1200fps will kick more in a 20 gauge weight 7lbs than a 1oz load at 1200fps in a 12g weighing 9 lbs?

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

something interesting

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

One other thing, Great ear protection. When I use plugs and muffs together I shoot longer and more comfort. With ears and muffs I dont get a head ache after 100= rounds.

12. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

It isn't always recoil. It's gun fit, heft, balance, center of gravity and how all of these together, affect the shooter. Plus, whether it is admitted or not, there is a degree of "intimidation" with newer shooters when looking at 12 ga shells. They're big. The muzzles and bore diameters are big. They can be watered all the way down to 7/8ths of an ounce or 1-oz "super lights", and it still won't matter.

GRAVITY:

Someone who tires after say, three rounds with a 12 ga 30" bbl, regardless of load, should try switching to a 28" bbl, or even a 26" bbl with the same choke.
    They will probably get through that fourth round OK.

Ever pick up one of those old, 34" barrelled 1100s and shoulder it?

What's the first thought? "Wow, this seems heavy." It's about three ounces heavier. There isn't that much more steel added to the gun. But you DO have another 4" hanging out in front of you being pulled down by GRAVITY. Now try and shoot a round with it. Or four rounds with it.

Still don't get it? Try this. using only the very tips of your fingers, hold out a brand new pencil parallel to to a desk or table top. In the other hand, do the same thing with a pencil that is worn about half way down. Feel the longer one wanting to "droop" or you having to exert slightly more resistance to keep it from drooping? There's only about 1/4 oz at most difference in weight between the long pencil and the shortened one.

So, it's not always "recoil" per se that is the problem. Debating whether X load in 12 ga will equal Y load in 20 ga for recoil and performance - is ignoring a whole list of other factors.

INTIMIDATION

My wife can sit benched with an M-1A .308 and bounce plastic laundry detergent bottles on a sand berm 150 yards away all day long. She's never shot the rifle standing, from the off hand position. Why? Because she isn't ready to. She would tire too quickly and hasn't developed the upper body strength yet, plus she is new to shooting and still intimidated psychologically by the relative size of a 12-ga shell and being about .75 cal in diameter. (She's stronger than she thinks) She thinks the AR-15 in .223 is a joke and has it in her head that the .308 cartridge is the "largest" thing she can shoot well with. So, when she looks at a shotgun and a shotgun cartridge - she isn't thinking, "oh here's something that launches a string of pellets at about one fifth the pressure of the rifle" - she's thinking Wow. That shell looks big, and so does the gun - I don't know if I can handle that.

She can only make it through about 20 of 25 12 ga shells from an 1100 regardless of how "light" they are, before she has to stop the round and walk off. And frankly, she's only good with it for 12 to 15 shots.(Because that's what she has subconsciously told herself)

However, she can go fifty rounds with an LT-20 using loads that technically launch a closely weighted payload 7/8ths oz compared to 1-oz at a higher velocity (1,200 nominal for the 20 ga "classic" target load compared to 1,100 nominal from the 1-oz "reduced recoil" 12 ga. load))from a narrower shot column and bore diameter in a gun that is two pounds lighter. - Not a whole lot of difference between those two shells from a physics standpoint in calculating actual recoil. In fact, from the LT-20 being two pounds lighter than the 12 ga, ACTUAL recoil is MORE. But PERCEIVED recoil and the intimidation factor are greatly reduced. She sees the 20 ga gun and the slimmer, 20 ga shells with the pretty, yellow color and thinks - "Oh, hey, now that's not bad - THAT I can handle" I held them up side by side with my 12 ga gun and psychologically - she was SOLD.

13. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Interesting how the Chuckhawks table left out 12 ga 1-1/8 @ 1,145 from an 8.5 lb gun

It's about 18 ft lbs

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

stevel, got to agree on the intimidation factor, I had a bit of advantage. My wife had never seen a 20g sidexside with a 12g. I bought her a browning gold "ladies" sporting clays. Yes dear its a smaller gun, ahh yeah its a 20gauge. Some times seeing other women shoot will help. My wife had asked why a new woman shooter is shooting a 20gauge. The new shooter had a benelli supersportII. that gun beat the begeezz out of her cheek, she punished her self for some time with that gun. Went to a browning shooting day in NH. Came back with a BT99 micro. Now just got to get rid of that flinch.

15. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks for all the input re: this, guys. I'm going to hold off dumping $$ on another gun right now. She's not as 'excited' about it now, three days later. I'll get her out there again after the GraCoil's mounted and maybe even put a decelerator pad on the old mossberg 500....see what's up. weight? heft? just overcoming the 'bang'? oy. it ain't simple with these creatures. heheh.

bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.