1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REM 11-87 30"Target RemChoke Barrel INFO REQUEST

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NJCOP, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

OKAY I AM IGNORANT RE: THIS BARREL ISSUE AND IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS> HELP PLEASE!

I recently bought a VERY NICE and lightly used Remington 30" Stepped rib "TARGET" barrel that takes only 2 3/4" shells. It is a standard contour. The RemChoke tube is marked FULL TRAP (NOT TRAP FULL IF IT MATTERS). I looked at the tube and the choke constriction looked far less than a "Full Choke". I took the tube to me dealer who has a choke gauge and it came up as a "cylinder bore" choke tube.

Not being a total dutz, I know that Remington made backbored barrels and they took special calibrated tubes but the guy on the phone at Remington couldn't even tell me what the front end of this particular choke tube should mic out at. The one I have in hand mics out at .735. In my mind that's cylinder bore.

If this tube isn't what it should be do I:

1. Just put a standard full choke tube in. Would it matter with a back bored barrel?

or

2. Buy another RemChoke brand full trap tube? I don't know if the barrel is backbored and the guy a Remington said they weren't marked as being backbored.

I thought that Rem's barkbored barrels used the "ProBore" choke tubes. But with Remington making every gimick under the sun in recent history who knows what I have and what I need to do.

2. No Luck

No Luck TS Member

Sounds about right. The three choke tubes that came with the 11-87 traps are regular rem choke tubes. I think they are cylinder, modified and full. The reason they are marked different is because of the backbore and the 11/87 trap barrels with tubes have a built in .018 constriction right before the threads. So instead of making different tubes for this one barrel they just remarked them. That tube you have is probably cylinder but because of the built in constriction should give you a modified pattern. So whatever choke tube you use, you should add .018 to it.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The first column is bore diameter then the step down, the second the diameter of the choke and the third the total restriction.

Remington Trap (Old Style / pre-2000)

Super Full Trap (Lead Only) 0.745/0.727, 0.690, 0.055

Extra Full Trap (Lead Only) 0.745/0.727, 0.709, 0.036

Full Trap (Lead Only) 0.745/0.727, 0.732, -0.013 ( I can't see where this choke would do anything to the barrel that is already stepped down to 0.727)

These are good barrels, but cannot shoot any more open than 0.018 (or Modified)

Not all Remington overbored barrels used the ProBore chokes.

Mark

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Still sort of perplexes me how that works,...seems that the barrel constriction would only ease entry of the ejecta into the chokes mouth or cone..weird...I always just used a standard IC Remchoke in my backbored barrel....now its a fixed full all the way!

5. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

So if I use a improved tube it would be a full choke and if I use a skeet it would be an improved modified and so forth and so on?

It would have been a lot easier to figure this out if Remingtom marked the dang barrels when they were backbored and posted a FAQ on their website re the chokes. Their too busy making pink camoflaged 22lrs.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

That would be about right. You need to add 0.018 to any choke you install. Mark

7. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Thanks everyone. I'll be taking the standard full choke out of the barrel and be putting in a improved or modified until I get the same pattern as my full choked 870 trap gun.

8. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

REM 11-87 30

TTT on an edit

9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

REM 11-87 30

Remington's TARGET barrels are bird crushers. I never put a pattern on paper but they absolutely destroyed targets. Probably because of the extra restriction prior to the choke tube. Seems as though I read somewhere in Rem literature about their using the same tubes (Rem Chokes) in the regular field barrels as well as the TARGET barrel. In my 1187 Target bbl bore was .744". I went with a skeet tube for singles and a mod or full from the 27. Marc

PS: Should you want to trade for a more conventional 1100 barrel contact me.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    REM 11-87 30

Yup, these barrels have a mod constriction already built into them, so Remington remarked the chokes intended for these barrels in such a way to avoid confusion. Which it does until someone gets a barrel that lacks some of these specially marked chokes.

Remington still sells these specially marked chokes. Just make sure they're for the 1187 trap barrel, not the ones marked for the 1100 Classic Trap barrel.

11. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

REM 11-87 30

so just to clarify...using a target barrel with an improved modified Briley extended choke (0.025) would make the choke about equal to a extra full (0.040)?

putting in an old style improved cylinder choke (.010) would make the barrel about equivalent to an improved modified (0.025) or light full (0.030)??

thanks,
    Beau

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

11-87 target barrel

choke tube for 11-87 trap with target barrel

remchoke history

remington choke tube marked target

remington target trap barrels

which rem choke tube should be used for trap