1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloads Vs. Factory Shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by C Prince, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

I was wondering why you shoot reloads for practice and new shells for competition? I know shooting reloads is cheaper but why not shoot reloads for competition. If you are shooting reloads to read breaks and such, wouldn’t shooting a factory shell be different? Unless you could reload your shells to factory specifications there would be a difference.

Chad

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Right.. thats why you load like a factory shell.. 50 fps faster will not hurt you, especially on the 16 with factory shells.

3. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Actually I do just the opposite. If I have any factory ammunition on hand regardless of brand, I will use it for practice and not competition. Closely monitored reloads are far superior to any factory ammunition on the market today!

Mark Rounds

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

When I count pellets I see that my reloads are not as good a factory top-of-the-line. So I shoot reloads in practice, but not when there's someone scoring.

Neil

5. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Well,as far as im concerned Neil says it like it is!!!!!!!!!No doubt in my mind.

Sandy Holehouse

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Hey Neil...maybe you should think about building a better reload!

Mark

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I shoot a flat of reloads a week (or more) for handicap practice. (beginning April of course in WI/MN). And have 10 flats of STS 7.5 new for when the misses count. The last phrase is Neil's. Too, I wonder why good friends of mine, Jerry Demulling and Mark Zauhar shoot the real thing for ATA. You should wonder that too.

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

It is about confidence for me. I shoot plenty of new shells of all brands. I will have several off sounding or dud shells shooting new shells.

Out of about the last few flats of new AA extra light shells, I have had probably two dozen or more that sounded hollow, or were duds completely. Out of the last flat of new Federal premium plastics trap loads, I have had a half dozen hulls separate from the brass leaving the hull stuck half way down the barrel.

At least in my case, the reloads I construct are far superior to the new premium shells I have shot.

Mark Rounds

9. JACK

Mark. How many times do you need to hear the term STS and Remington? Superior loads (and reloads too)

10. WesleyB

Shoot STS the benchmark of New Shells....

11. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

MIA

I agree the STS shell at present seems better than the rest of the field of new shells. But, even then I believe my reloads will do as well if not better...and for about half the price.

However, I guess not everyone agrees on which is the best shell for competition. One of the best if not the best trap shooter in the world, Leo, does not shoot Remington shells.

As a matter of fact, I don't think most of the top shooters in this sport shoot Remington shells. Why would you think that is?

Mark

12. WesleyB

Mark..
    What brand of empty hulls are you reloading? I like my reloads also. I shoot what ever I have the most of. My reloads or STS's

Respectfully
    WesleyB

13. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Wesley

I load them all. I have been around long enough to come up with very consistent and reliable loads in just about every hull there is.

Mark

14. JACK

Mark. We are just disagreeing arond the edges. Most of us feel we can make adequate loads. I feel as yo do. And what leo does proves nothing. Mainly because he is in a league of his own and tells no one about his trade tricks. Leo shoots for Beretta and Leo shoots for Leo.

Mark shoots what he feels confident with and so does Jack. I cn't speak for Neil. Or Leo.

Free shells make a difference tho.

I paid $74 a flat for the STS.

15. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

MIA

Yes we are seeing things nearly the same. However, the difference in thought of many shooters is that new shells are better than reloads. It is simply not true. There is no way factory loaded ammunition can be as closely monitored and compared to an dedicated individual's hand loads... yet other people shouldn't even get close to a reloader. That is just the way it is!

I like the STS hull, but I also like many others. The hull life of the STS seems to last longer than most, but I usually only load any hull one time and throw it away, so it is not the hull life I consider when loading STS hulls, it is the base of the hull that is more important.

In my experience, any hull that has a separate base wad is inferior to a hull that does not. STS hulls and a few others do not have separate bases and therefore seem to be more consistent for reloaders if the components are correct.

Mark

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Neil, what percentage do you see between your reloads and factory?

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have as much confidence in my reloads as I do in new factory premium shells. They both shoot better than "I" can. I don't have bloopers and misfires with my reloads. I've had that happen with factory shells. I also need to keep the costs of shooting down to an affordable amount. I can shoot more of my reloads than I can of factory shells for the money. I am a bit "anal" about assembling my shells, so I am one reloader that pays attention to detail. I test my loads under many conditions and have done a good amount of pattern testing. I have compared my reloads to factory shells and have found very little difference, if any. If I were unable to produce a decent reload, I'd rethink my strategy. I don't believe I have lost one target because of a poor reload. I use premium components where it matters. If I had a ton of money and no time to load, I'd probably buy shells. Otherwise, I'm happy to continue with what I'm using.

18. JACK

I reload fo rthese reasons

1) 20% less recoil

2) 75% less cost

3) prefer the smell of PB and Titewad

4) Keeps me out of the bars

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot reloads for practice, but I don't practice much. At registered shoots, I sometimes shoot reloads. If I am at a shoot and I don't want to be bothered with empty hulls, I shoot discount (Estate) shells and leave the empties on the ground. For doubles, I usually shoot my reloads or discount shells and toss the hulls. I also shoot a lot of new AA shells for singles and handicap. If I didn't, I would not have any hulls to reload. As close as I can tell, last year at registered shoots, I shot around 5,000 reloads, 3000 Estates and 7,000 new AA shells. The type of shells I will carry down to the Southern Grand will depend on my mood when I am loading the car. I have clearly demonstrated that I can miss a target with any shell.

Pat Ireland

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the Remington factory workers take more care than I do when making the shells that I'm going to shoot.

They can make them faster.

I'm not convinced, shell to shell or case to case, they're any more consistent than I am.

Neil's testing of factory shells would seem to agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

factory shells

factory shot shells vs reloads

reloads compared to factory target loads

trap shooting reloading vs factory