1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADS vs. FACTORY for PICKY GUNS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My old, antiquated, and dearly loved 3200s are picky about some factory shells resulting in occasional FTFs. These include new WalMArt 100 pack Federals and Rem Gun Clubs. It seems the primers in these are recessed just enough sometimes to get a light hit in the bottom barrel.

I'm curious if reloading these myself in my soon-to-be reloading operation would reduce the likelihood of this happening depending on which primers I choose. Some factory shells seem to have a more flush head to primer orientation than others. How is this controlled in a MEC Jr. if at all?

BTW my 3200s love factory AAs, FED GM, STS, Rios and Estates so I know it's not the guns.

Guy Babin, Reloading novice at large.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Feed your gun what it likes and it will be a happy gun. Primer seating depth is adjustable on Mec presses. HMB

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Dave,

Both of my 3200s are pristine and have been given the works by Laibs. My old and antiquated comment was with tounge in cheek as there are many in the fold who feel this way about them no matter what condition they're in.

It's definately a shell thing. I'm curious about how much I can manipulate reloads and in effect build better shells for my guns than some of the problematic factory bullets.

Guy B.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My Winchester Model 50 with the floating chamber does not like factory cheapie shells with steel not brass base. The primers will go off but the shell does not eject completely. The gun will digest my resized reloads with AA hulls just fine. I do not attempt to reload with cheapie steel base hulls not even Gun Clubs.

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Guy:
    I certainly have shot a lot more reloads than factory loads in my 3200's, and I have never, as of yet, had a misfire in any of them. I use mostly Remington primers, but have used Win, CCI, Cheddites, etc. when loading cases other than Remington. One of the guy's at Laibs did tell me that I may not want to use some of the hard primers on the market. Not that they won't work fine, but they may in time cause problems on peening the firing pin hole. I don't think the update on the action that was done by Remington or Laibs make's any difference on whether a primer goes off or not. That was a stock splitting issue that was corrected. Maybe it is also possible you have a bit of crud of some sort in the lower firing pin hole that is keeping the pin from moving like it should. Sounds like your light hit with the lower firing pin is just that, a light hit, and not a problem with the shell.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

3200s are not fussy about steel base shells. However...deep set primers can be a problem.

Occasionally there is a batch of "promotional" ammo that has the primers set in too far for some guns.

Since steel base once fired hulls are plentiful, reload them, making sure the primers are flush and not recessed.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Cheddite and Rio primers are usually reliable in these guns.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

guy, use the AA's and STS as related in prior postings with the suggested Win 209's and everything should be fine. If you or actually your lovely did acquire those reloading manuals, read under primer seating depth how easily it can be verified as to correctness.

Yours truly with Aline on my mind :)

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Duly noted.

I do have the 5th edition and alliant manuals. I didn't realize the MEC jr primer depth could be adjusted til HMB mentioned it above.

BTW Martin, Miss BOOM BOOM Browning Diva Aline Babin whooped my ass this Sunday at the CCGC winter league. As her squad leader, I had her on my mind too much due to my enjoyment of her great day. She's on her way.... all good!

Guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.