1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloads Revisited

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Earl4140, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

With the recent flurry of posts on the 7/8 ounce loads. I thought it was time to review this load. I threw in the one ounce as a gratuity. Many of the 7/8 ounce people included favorite loads. Unfortunately the last time I reviewed the thread only one person included velocity (1300 f/s). Any load suggested should include velocity to allow assessment of expected recoil and compliance with ATA Standards. Since this post input does not want tabs I will devote a paragraph to each load. Caveat: My arithmetic may be faulty negating all comments/conclusions.

The 1 1/8 ounce load at 1290 f/s (ATA Max) will be our standard. Squaring the velocity and multiplying by mass yields a very large number which I have divided by one million to simplify comparisons. V*V*M/1,000,000= 1.87.

The one ounce load at 1325 f/s (ATA Max) yields 1.76.

The 7/8 ounce load at 1350 f/s (ATA Max) yields 1.59

If I have not lost you by now you are probably wondering what my point is. The one ounce and 7/8 ounce loads are being penalized. To equal the 1 1/8 ounce standard, the speeds for the one ounce and 7/8 ounce loads need to be increased to 1365 f/s and 1460 f/s respectively (rounded down to nearest xxx5 f/s value). Earl Hamman "cave ab homine unis tormentum"

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

However, if the shooter performs BETTER, for whatever reason, with the light recoiling load than he does with any load meeting your ATA Max, 1 1/8 oz load, where's the penalty? Who's to say there is a penalty in performance rather than the appearance of one in the math?.....Bob Dodd

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The best thing I've ever shot from the 16 is 7/8's with 8.5's @ 1150. I don't feel a thing (recoil) and the load inks targets. Plus it's a lot cheaper!!!

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Shot410ga,

That is also a heck of a shell for the first shot at doubles!

ec90t

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The ATA has no standards. HMB

6. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Personally, I don't give the proverbial rat's rear end about numbers outside of those that show up on the score sheet. I shoot 7/8 oz. because I like it and it breaks targets *for me* more consistently than anything else I've used. I pay ridiculous prices for shot and for B&P wads for the simple reason that I have faith in the load.

Theoretical numbers may be very nice, but give me the load I feel best with, that I can shoot as long as the match continues without a problem and that I have the most confidence in and you can show me whatever numbers you like, they don't mean diddly to me.

Tony

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Earl- There is clearly a disadvantage with using 7/8 oz loads to break targets. But there are also advantages (cost, recoil). Each person must consider the advantages and disadvantages and decide what is best for him.

For me, my PFS negates the primary advantage of 7/8 oz loads.

Pat Ireland

8. mx12

mx12 TS Member

I have to agree with Pat Ireland. We all know that most shooters are hurt by recoil, especially once we get older.

Let’s play devil’s advocate, why doesn’t the ATA lower the speed of loads allowed. There is plenty of 1145 fps 1 1/8 ammo available from the manufacturers. This would be the max speed allowed by the ATA. Now let’s do 1 oz at 1185 max, plenty of ammo available from manufacturers. I’m not real familiar with factory 7/8 oz loads on the selves, but let’s say for argument sake it’s at 1225fps. Wouldn’t this make everyone more competitive, as it takes away the recoil issue? Yes we know the big dogs will shoot great scores no matter what they use, but this may help the average shooter to be more competitive and enjoy and shoot more, due to lack of recoil.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

mickjoe

The ATA already has speed regulations. You can always use slower speed shells than allowed. That's a personal choice, whether you do it for recoil reasons or cost reasons, or whatever.

What you're saying is "I want to shoot lighter loads, and I want everybody else to do as I want to do."

The ATA doesn't prevent you from shooting the load you want to shoot, but why make everyone else do what you want? What you're saying is, "I can't compete as things are now, so lets penalize the better shooters." Isn't it?

And no, I do not think it would make the average shooter more competitive. The average shooter would still be average.

Myself included.

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

The BEST load you can use for consistent kills, assuming you can shoot, is 1 1/8 oz of 8 1/2 shot. I done 500 straight with it !

11. mx12

mx12 TS Member

timb99, I wasn't trying to start a pissing match, but tell me why the ATA determined to use some of the highest FPS ammo available from manufactures? Why!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

mickjoe- Actually, ATA regulations limit our velocity to the light/moderate range. There are many loads that will produce higher velocities than allowed by the ATA.

Others (not me) have shot longer runs than 500 with other loads. Why is your load better than theirs?

Pat Ireland

13. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

Thanks for the many meaningful responses. I'm going to try and address some of your comments.

'Slowing down the 1 1/8 ounce and one ounce loads so that the energy is the same as the 7/8 ounce load maximum.' I don't think this will fly. The ATA is committed to the 3 dram equivalent load because the majority want this load available.

'Bringing the one ounce and 7/8 ounce loads energies up to the 1 1/8 load'. This will increase the ATA shell envelope to allow more diversity in loads. Recoil at the respective maximum velocities will be equal.

The long yardage shooters will be able to put some 'Steam' on their loads. The number 7 1/2 shot 7/8 ounce load at 1400+ f/s may well be the load of choice when wind becomes a factor. Earl4140

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The faster it starts out the faster it slows down. At a point down range where you are breaking the target the difference in fps is a lot smaller than you think. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.