1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

# Reloads per hull

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joetrap52, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joetrap52

joetrap52 TS Member

I Recently purchased 1000 "once Fired" Win AA Grey hulls and some show some splitting after only 1 or 2 reloads. There is a price difference between these and the Red AA hulls. Are the reds more resilient? Years ago, I could load a red AA hull 5 or 6 time before problems developed. Also, what about other company's hulls? Nitro Gold etc. Which hold up the best? I use a MEC 9000. Thanks in advance for the info.

2. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

A friend of mine tested a hull once. It was an old style silver AA. Crimps started fraying after around 15, side splitting at 23, base seperated at 34. He was loading 700x and 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2. don't know powder weight of FPS.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My personal preference is Nitro Golds. The hull seems to hold up better than any other that I have tried for 12 ga. I prefer AA's for all other gauges. I had several hundred STS's in 28 ga and they started splitting after 3 reloads where I had been getting at least 6 from AA's. Jackie B.

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I load the cheaper Gun Club hulls, which are one piece. I can comfortably get 5-6 reloads out of them before I start seeing a black ring around the fired primer, but I assume that's because they are steel based. After seeing 3 different guns blown up, amazingly while shooting AA hulls, I've decided to stay far away from them, I bought 1000 of the gray ones a couple of years ago, and as soon as I found out the base wad can dislodge, I shot them one last time and pitched them. Plus, it seemed like no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't reload the stupid things without putting a big crinkle in them. Others on here will say they absolutely love the AA hulls, but I'd rather not test the theory behind the dislodged base wads. From my experience, all of Remington's hulls are the same basic hull, and all reload with the same data. The new Federals, from my experience, are pretty good also, but I've been hearing some problems with them coming apart during firing. Hope this helps, Josh

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I load STS/nitro/gun club/universal game load hulls. Same data for all 4 and 4 colors to choose from. I load 5 times then toss. I have 5 boxes that hold 250 empty hulls. I load a flat every time I load. move box to back of the line. Works for me. As far as the AAs several guys load them at club. I feel its the wad choice not tapered properly or crooked wad going down the hull. As far as red vs grey. unless the color process changes the characteristics of the plastic, there is no difference. 1 member loads both gray and red with factory wads never a buldged reload.

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I was a big fan of the old AA's, but found the new ones not to my liking. Remington hit a home run with the Nitro and STS in my opinion. They load like the old AA's. I have of both STS and Nitro hulls that are over a dozen reloads, and show no sign of aging, splitting or even discolored since I use 700X and Clays. I did load some with Green Dot, and the powder was not hot enough to keep the hulls clean. Other than that, I am not sure how many reloads these will go before showing issues.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Make sure that we're talking about the same hulls... Old (one-piece, dull) v. New (two-piece, shiny/slick) AA Hull.

I recently gave away 1000s of "vintage" one-fired AAs to a couple shooting buddies to concentrate on loading one hull type - STS Green/Nitro Gold hulls... "old" style worked well, but NEVER got the kind of reload durability mentioned here, 5-8 times usually, some as little as once (unexpected splits), always use AA/clone wads.

Two things that I didn't like about the "old" style AA was the "laminated" plastic and the dull skin occasionally hung up in my Hornady's final crimp station.

I mentioned it in a previous thread, I found some of the AAs de-laminated near the crimp and I could actually peel some of the outer layers to expose fresh plastic...

$$$ is a scambo - Gray, Silver, Red all the same hulls. Remington STS and the Nitro are the same deal. Also, if you come across them, grab any Remington Premier/RTL hulls (opaque green) - load like the STS (even better durability, if you ask me).

I'd recommend staying away from the new AA.

Jay

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are two variables at work here. The quality of the hulls and the size of your chamber. In a tight fitting chamber the hulls will last longer. HMB

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I load both AA's and STS/Nitro. AA's for the 27 and STS/Nitro for the 16. I shoot both until I get a pin hole in the crimp area, then put all those together until I've got a couple of hundred then load once more and trash. The STS/Nitro will last longer, but then I use a soft 1 oz load in them. Where-as I load the AA's with 1 1/8 oz. at 1250FPS. I don't count the number of reloads per shell. I just inspect for pin holes or splits in the crimp area each time the shell is used. I been doing the same for 30+ years and 100's of thousands of reloads. With I might add, seldom a problem.

10. snowbird trap shooter

snowbird trap shooter TS Member

Shot410ga. told you straight! We aren't testing for number of reloads. We are striving for the best reload we can shoot. Forget speed and number of times you can get the crimp open.

11. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

With AA reds or grays, I was getting pinholes and ragged tops within 5 or fewer reloads.

With STS green or gold, for most I get 10, some have gone to 14 and some are still going, no body splits or pinholes in the crimp area. The other thing to watch for is enlarging of the primer pockets. I use Remington STS primers in Remington STS hulls and the primer pockets remain tight. I suspect WW primers will loosen the primer pockets.

I look for bulges near the base and soot tracks around the primer pockets and have only had a couple of STS's lose a brass base. Easy to spot before it became a problem.

Mike

12. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I reload the green and black Remington gun clubs. as they are easy to get. They reload beautifully. and are very strong. I reload with the 700x 11/8th oz also. Just try them if you can get some I think youll be impressed. alex Kotter superior wisconsin.

13. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Reload them and cull out the bad ones as you reload. You will find
    a small percent from each cycle that split at the top and after 7 or
    8 reloads a few will split down the side as well. Neither cause
    performance issues in my experience.

Regards

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Snowbird: I'm not sure what you're talking about?

15. Bridger

Bridger Member

Th Remington Gun Club hull may be the best I have ever used. I have at least a lifetime supply of once fired hulls on hand but people keep giving them to me so I just keep stockpiling more. I am starting to cull some hulls that probably could be used a few more times. The STS hulls are good too but don't seem to last as long as the GC. I won't load the newer style AA's after seeing one separate in a friends gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.