1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloads or New ? what do you shoot and when.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt_leeth, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_leeth

Matt_leeth TS Member

Do you use reloads or new shells at the major shoots and when the money is on the line. ( excluding Grand Week)

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

I almost NEVER shoot factory ammo.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Watch a guy shooting the league last night... he was running 50 straight when his reloads failed him twice. No powder one time but wad cleared the barrel and then little powder for a "puff". Two misses and lost probably $50. Time for a new reloader or shoot factory ammo. Fred

4. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

I also shot reg last weekend with a guy who had two "poofer" reloads, one that stuck a wad and required a couple good thumps from a wad knocker to clear. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I had my first-ever misfire with a factory load; a good solid hit on the primer of a Light Handicap STS, and nothing. The other 3 members of our squad had zero problems; one shot exclusively the Pink Federal Top Gun factory ammo, and the other two shot reloads with Hodgdon Clays. I normally shoot the same reloads as my two squadmates, but am facing rotator cuff surgery; shooting is bad, but pulling the handle on that #^^&*^ reloader is infinitely worse. That is not a very definitive answer, I know.

Really, I have full faith in carefully assembled reloads, money on the line or not, and when my shoulder is squared away, that will be pretty much what I shoot.

5. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I usually shoot 1-ounce reloads for both practice and competition. I haven't had a problem at the line yet--my reloads are reliable and consistent. However, at the bigger shoots I will often opt for factory STS loads. I save the shells for reloads.

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am with pigkiller I have every bit of faith in my reloads. If you have bloopers then that is your own fault. Just ran 99 with my reloads recent.

7. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I shoot reloads at all shoots, registered and league. I watch each and every reload as it is being done on my Mec 9000. I often check for powder before putting the wad in and also check to make sure the shot drops properly. Is it slower? Yes, do I have poofer loads? No. I am still loading for less than I can buy factory STS or Nitro 27's, even tho shot is going through the roof. I get new hulls every week from my shooting buddys that do not reload.

Oscar Ray

8. Bama73

Bama73 Member

Given the choice I will shoot my reloads 100 times out of 100. The only time I would shoot factory would be if it was required or if it's all I had.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you don't reload, what are you going to do with all that spare time? ;-)

No reloader is foolproof (somebody has to fill it with components), but one of the better progressive loaders can take a lot of the risk out of reloads. It's also nice to have an unlimited variety of product. Even with the high price of shot, reloading is still fun for me. If it wasn't for the Grand, I likely wouldn't buy shells. Good luck.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I trust my reloads as much or more than I trust factory. Only time I shoot factory loads is when I need some new hulls 'cause my old ones are getting worn out.

John C. Saubak

11. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I shoot reloads nearly all of the time they are at least as reliable as new shells.
    Don

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I don't own a reloader so I have no choice but to shoot all new ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. KNewfy

KNewfy TS Member

My Father and I shoot reloads, for practice, fun shoots, doubles and singles. We actually perfer our home loads to shoot over factory shells. Handicap is the only event we use factory ammo for. We just haven't come up with a good hanidcap load at home that doesn't roll your eyes back in your head.
    Between the two of us shooting we can easily go through 1500 rounds in a weekend shoot.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Factory for big registered except first shot dbls which is 7/8 oz reloads.

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have approximately 4 flats of new STS shells left. When they are used up I will refrain from using new shells. (Unless I get a bargain, like I did on Fiocchi target loads last month). Bought these for $40 a flat and should have purchased much more than I did. I have more confidence in my reloads than any factory shell. Bottom line; set a new box of STS shells next to my reloads and I will choose my reloads everytime. Ed

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bought more 1-1/8 oz. Federal Top Guns for 46.99/flat last weekend. I'll never reload again as long as I can get that deal. I've been shooting these for two years and have yet to suffer a misfire.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.