1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloads or Factory?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Libra1310, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

Is reloading more of a money saver over factory loads or is it just a preference thing? I can get a press for free ( nothing great ) and would reload if its a $$$$ saver. I shoot Topguns and Rios for cost.

Chris

2. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I feel I am shooting a premium shell for the cost of cheeper ammo when i reload. Also I am hooked on reloading. I really enjoy it. So it is all in what your after. Shoot maybe a better shell that you can tune to your gun or keep doing what you have been doing. It's really up to you. Life is all ways about time vs money.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

I prefer shooting my reloads over promo shells. There is a slight cost savings and I think I make a better shell.

If I could get TG's or Rios at "cost" (say $40/flat??) I would not reload for 16's, doubles or practice shells.

Don Verna

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I prefer reloads to promo shells as mentioned above. You are able to produce a high quality product for promo ammo prices.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If you see the reloading chore as a pleasure, custom loads, fun, satisfying, something you look forward to do, I say reload. If it's a chore you hate, feel it's sort of a lot of lost time, does nothing for you to satisfy, then don't. Even if you save a little money loading with that attitude isn't good.......breakemall

6. fly

fly Active Member

at $38.00 per bag, loading 1 1/8 ounce of shot, the cost is $2.67 per 25 shells, not including any other component. i will shoot factory shells at that price.

7. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I shoot AA's or STS for handicap and reload them for 16's. There is not the savings that was years ago but I can reload a shell as good as factories. I think the only reason I reload now is because I have the components on hand because I bought so much and want to get rid of it. To me it has been great to know that I can make a shell as good or better than factories.

Dave

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

I'm pretty sure I shot 150 to 200 factory shells last year out of about 13,000 shells but normally I only shoot my reloads. 1. I prefer them and 2. reloading is my relaxation.

--- Chip King ---

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am reloading at $3.68 per 25 shells 3 dram 1 1/8th oz loads 1200 fps.

GB
    DLS

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

My reloads cost me about $4.05 per box. OK... I save a buck over el-cheapo shells, big deal... but... I feel my reloads are every bit as good, if not better than STS or Nitros. In my neck of the woods STS/Nitro/Gold Metals/AA Silver Bullets are over $8.00 with tax. So... I am saving $4.00 compared to those. I guess I could just shoot Walmart promo packs and forget reloading...but again...have you ever looked at a 40 yard pattern using those? When I am at handicap yardage NO WAY I want to rely on those promo packs. Don't know about you but I need all the help I can get.

Mark

p.s. If you don't shoot tournaments and/or only can shoot 6 or 8 boxes a month then reloading isn't really worth it. 2 cents

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

My reloads cost me about $4.05 per box. OK... I save a buck over el-cheapo shells, big deal... but... I feel my reloads are every bit as good, if not better than STS or Nitros. In my neck of the woods STS/Nitro/Gold Metals/AA Silver Bullets are over $8.00 with tax. So... I am saving $4.00 compared to those. I guess I could just shoot Walmart promo packs and forget reloading...but again...have you ever looked at a 40 yard pattern using those? When I am at handicap yardage NO WAY I want to rely on those promo packs. Don't know about you but I need all the help I can get.

Mark

p.s. If you don't shoot tournaments and/or only can shoot 6 or 8 boxes a month then reloading isn't really worth it. 2 cents

12. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

I the only reason I shoot is to reload!! Nothing like listening to the radio and hearing the Pump run on the 9000,12,20 and I hand pull the 28 and 410 gauges!!! Besides we are having a global warming event up here in Alaska,cold and about hub deep to a ferris wheel in snow !!!!

13. Reinz

Reinz Member

I prefer reloading.

And I can change and fine tune things on any given day.

That's flexibility! Without depending and waiting on someone else.

14. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

Where is the best place for components?

Chris

15. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Chris if you can't buy it wholesale then the big shoots or certain gun clubs is the best place.

Dave

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ask yourself four questions:

1. Do I have the time?

2. Do I have the equipment or do I want to spend the money to buy the equipment?

3. Do I shoot enough to justify the effort?

4. Do I have the funds to by components in quantity (bulk)?

Answer these in the affirmative, and you are a want-to-be reloader.

17. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Using one of the TS.com calculators (above) I see that I can reload for about $4.60 per box and that I could break even on the purchase of a new MEC automate reloader ($995)after about 750 boxes of shells. Then if I calculate again, using the time it takes to make 750 boxes (about 100 hours) I find that I'll need to make about 1,500 boxes (at $10 per hour). to reach that break even place. At ten boxes per week, I'd be in the black after about 3 years.

I really enjoyed making my own for a couple of years. The hand MEC seemed to aggravate an old neck injury. Stopping has made a big difference. Hence, the mention of an automate (or comparable hydraulic).

Now, if I found that I HAD to shoot half ounce with a .410, I see that my pay off time would be 140 boxes (180 if I include an hourly cost factor). That's only a half year. Of course, I don't have to shoot .410. I'd like to, but I'm doing fairly well with 12 gauge. The break even jumps to over 400 boxes of 12 gauge with a half ounce of shot. But, who the heck shoots 12 gauge with only a half ounce of shot? Hmmmmm.

Larry

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I reload just for the pleasure of it. It relaxes me. I have my own space seperate from the house so I just run a box or two off, listen to the radio.
    Course a buddy and I have been making our own shot about 3 years now. We have it down pretty good. Really can't tell the difference in our shooting. We play alot of games at the different clubs and break just as many from the fence or parking lot in shootoffs as normally have. Never really figured up on the savings. Just plain enjoy loading. Wild Bill

19. fly

fly Active Member

i had 2 ton of reclaim shot that i got for free, and absolutely hated it. i gave it away because my loader would bridge shot and then dump when the handle hit the top of its stroke.

I don't mind loading, but not when it isn't cost effective (in my eyes)

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I started reloading in 1957 with a homemade press. Paper wads,paper hulls. Cost me around $1.00 per box. Reloading developed more shooters than any other factor. The Mec single stage reloader did more for trapshooting than any clinic you could have taken. Being able to shoot more on a tight budget improved mine and many numerous others scores. If I could get $5.00 together,I was good to go. Most shoots were 10 & 50 birds in those days. Trapshooting went from fun to a high dollar sport. You have to enjoy reloading as another hobby,otherwise,don't do it. Savings is secondary. Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.