1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloads not chambering in mod 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hard Cash, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Cash

Hard Cash TS Member

I just received a "Y" Model 12 Trap I purchased and it will not fully chamber my Remington STS reloads, so it will not fire. It scratches the front part of the brass and it feels like there is a constriction in the chamber. Is this something a gunsmith can polish out ? I have never experienced this with any other shoguns I own, including my "Y" Model 12 skeet gun using my reloads so I am not willing to adjust my Dillon SL900. It will chamber new STS and AA shells. I have a 3 day inspection and the seller has agreed to let me return the gun.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

In every case that I have seen it was just a matter of adjusting the resizer on your reloader to correct the problem. Jackie B.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Did you shoot those hulls in another model 12 before loading them to try the new gun? Mod. 12s usually have fairly large chambers when compared to Rems. I would find out why the loads won't chamber before returning the gun, you may have a jewel and not know it!!

Hap

4. Hard Cash

Hard Cash TS Member

I took the gun apart. Were the barrel chamber ring meets the barrel it forms a ridge and that is what is hitting the brass and not letting it chamber. Since I have never had a problem with my reloads and there is a crack on the comb that was not disclosed, I have decided to return this model 12.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If new shells chamber in the gun, your resizer needs adjusting, A friend of mine has a gun when he shoots a shell and I pick them up to reload, they will hardly go into me Mec reloader, the rims are greatly expanded. My resizer collet is adjusted properly but shells will not go into any of my guns.

You stated there is a ridge in the chamber, on a model 12 the chamber is in the reciever, at least the starting of it as it is called a chamber ring,

The best way to check it out is by firing a new PAPER FEDERAL and then look at the brass and mike it with a caliper and compare with new PAPER FEDERAL if there is a HUMP in the shell it needs to go to Stu Wright or have the seller send it and have it fixed if you want to go through the bother.

Or just plain return it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I remember in the mid 70s Herb Orre kept busy all 10 days of the Grand putting in chamber rings on model 12s.

He said he installed the extra hard ring.

Sounds like the gun had problems, probably a victim of heavy loads, aka.. Buddy Shoots.

Regards.....Gerald

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the ring was put in 1/2 turn to light

8. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

3 Day Inspection....You got REAL LUCKY. 3 Day Inspection Goes with No Fire Inspection..Certainly not Somebody's RELOADS and a TEST Drive. Currently if sales are done through FFL Dealers the purchased gun is still in the Store awaiting approval of 3 day in Store Inspection...Once FFL transaction is Completed New Owner can decide to Shoot Home brewed Loads with Resizing Issues.
    As said you were Real Lucky with Seller..Just my 2 cents ..as A Seller here on T.S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.