1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloads, heavy lead fouling?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jclark1975, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

So I reloaded (MEC sizemaster from early 80's) 12 GA, 1 1/8 oz, 7.5 target loads for the first time. After 150 rounds I finished, went home and figured I'd clean the gun (Rem. 3200). Noticed a LOT of lead fouling. Shot similar amounts with factory loads (Nitro 27) and didn't notice this. Any thoughts or ideas?

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

What kind of shot and wads were you using? Soft shot can cause some of the problem. I tried to make some spreader loads one time for sporting clays by cutting the petals off of my wads. I shot a round of sporting clays on Saturday and was still cleaning the lead out on Monday.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You sure it was lead fouling and not plastic streaks from the wads? What brand of wads did you use.

MK

4. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

I bought bags of http://www.westcoastmagnumshot.com/ 7.5 shot. Remington hulls, with Fig 8 wads.

I'm nearly sure it was lead fouling but could be wrong. How could I tell the difference between plastic + lead. I guess my main concern is that I'm seeing a difference between factory and reloads.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's usually fairly easy to remove plastic deposits with a bronze brush and a solvent cleaner like acetone or Shooter's Choice Bore and Choke Cleaner. Lead requires a lot more dedication.

MK

6. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

That seems to be the issue. I spent 4 hours cleaning the bore to get rid of the lead. Any thoughts on why this may be happening? I'm using a MEC reloader with 1 1/8 bar.

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Just take a stroll out to the wad drop area and examine as many used wads as you can. There is a big difference in performance of various components.

8. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

The last time I had lead in the barrel was in the 60's shooting cork/fiber/card board wads that had no shot cup. Todd

9. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

jclark1975, what are you seeing thats leading you to believe its lead (ie color, material, etc)?

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What primers, powder, and how many grains powder you dropping? The shot is contained inside the shot-cup until it leaves the barrel. I highly doubt its its lead, probably unburnt powder. Lead fouling will look like little silver flakes on a cleaning patch, unburnt powder is black. Wayne

EDIT: Plastic fouling usually looks like streaks in the barrel, more concentrated toward the muzzle and in the choke.

11. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

Hm.... I thought it was lead... They are streaks from the break to the muzzle, but definitely more in the muzzle. The streaks were shinny almost silver colored I assumed it was lead but sounds like I may be wrong. I wonder why this is happening with the reloads vs. factory loads.

Primer - Rem 209P
    Powder - 19 Grains Alliant Red Dot
    Wad - Remington Figure 8 1 1/8 oz cup

Thanks for all the feedback!

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's not lead. HMB

13. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

So is this streaking normal? Sorry for being such a novice. Only my 3rd time shooting a shotgun @ clays. I just don't want to cause any potential problems with the gun.

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

You'll work your way through it. I'm willing to bet it's plastic. It will give the appearence that it metal or scored. This will happen with a brand new barrel and new choke tube installed. Just a few shots will put a mark in your choke tube. If possible polish your choke tubes ID, it does reduce build up and won't hurt the tube.

15. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

I appreciate all the feedback. Sounds definitely like plastic to me, makes me feel better that something isn't too wrong. The gun isn't new, it's a late 70's model Rem. 3200 competition trap. My Dad use to shoot it every weekend for 20 years. I just found it in my Mom's attic a month ago and decided to try it out.

16. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Now thats cool. Shooting your Dad's gun just found after years? You're doing alright. Keep it clean but don't stress it!

Steve

17. Crankbait

Crankbait TS Member

Are you putting the wad in the hull in the right direction???

18. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

Yes the wad is going in the right direction. Shot filling just over the top of the cup before crimping. And I did clean this gun, bores were shinny and shot about 500 rounds of factory Rem. Nitro 27 through it. Only noticed this problem when using the reloads.

19. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I get the streaks in the choke area of my BT if I shoot a lot. I found a load that is very comparable to the factory Nitro 27 it is published and available at Alliant powder website to verify. Nitro 27 or STS hull, FIO 616 primer or Win 209 primer, 21.1 grains of green dot, a Winchester WAA12 wad, 1-1/8oz. 7.5 shot and a 2/32" crimp. They work fantastic.

20. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

When reloading how full should the wad cup be? I noticed that my 1-1/8oz bar puts in shot fully filling the Rem Fig 8 wad. Probably a little more then full. Is this what I should expect?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloads lead fouling