1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloads for Remington 1100 and 11-87

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by linkerman, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkerman

linkerman Member

I am new to reloading and have a question about “pressure” of reloads. The loads that I want to make will be # 8 shot at 1150 – 1200 feet per second. I have looked in my reloading manual and there are obviously many recipes that will achieve what I am looking to do. I have also noticed that the pressure ranges from as low as 5500 psi to 11700 psi depending on component selection.

My question is this: We are shooting both 1100's and 11-87's (with target barrel) and I want to know what the optimum shell pressure needs to be. Will too little pressure mean cycling problems and would to much pressure cause premature wear and tear on our guns?

Thanks in advance for your help
    David W

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's not so much the "pressure" as it is the pressure and gas volume at the gas ports when the wad passes them. Ultra fast or ultra slow powders don't always work well. Powders like Red Dot, Green Dot, American Select, Clays, International Clays, work rather well in most reasonable loads. I usually try to keep the pressures between 8000 and 9000 PSI for mine. I don't like to go over 10,000 PSI, simply because of adding repeated stress to my firearm AND there would be a little headroom in case there is some variable that pushes the pressure higher. For a 1 1/8 oz load at 1150 - 1200 fps, Red Dot or Green Dot will get you there. I've had very few funtional issues with my 1100's when using these powders. SOme powders like Clays, work fine for lighter 1 1/8 oz loads, but will produce higher pressures at 1200 fps than I would desire. I reserve Clays for 7/8 or 1oz loads.

Be sure to use a scale to verify your powder charges and do NOT substitute components unless you have the data for the exact components you are using. Simply swapping primers can change pressures by several thousand PSI or more.

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I could shoot you a PM with my recipes if that will help. 1145, 1200, 1250 fps reloads. I'm pretty much a creature of habit and only reload (3) loads. I've encountered no issues with my break-opens or autoloaders with them. What issues with a break open???? You know what I mean. They work fine. This is just my opinion but, with an autoloader I'd be more concerned with steel base hulls but, that's just me and how I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.