1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloads Ban

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by clutey, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clutey

clutey TS Member

Hi Guys, I can understand your concerns and fears over reloads not being allowed at future National shoots. The cost of cartridges are a real worry especially here in the UK, Reloading is not a big thing here at present but it seems every time I go and buy shells the price has risen yet again. I don't know the price of shells in the states, here I would pay on average about £138 for a 1000 of the cheaper shells. I think that would work out at the present exchange rate about $206 per 1000, the better known competition shells you could expect to pay around the £160 to £170 per 1000 ($255)how would that compare with your prices? Anyway our Governing body in the UK is the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association (CPSA) and reloads are deemed that they could be dangerous and are not permitted at any of the registered shoots. I am a normal working guy who loves his shooting and fast approaching pension age, at present I can afford to do my shooting every weekend. If the cost of the shells keep rising and I reach pension age then there is no way I could afford to shoot as much. I would have to consider to start reloading therefore due to the CPSA rule against reloads would have to stop competition shooting. So guys if you can nip this threat in the bud I would recommend you start the ball rolling as soon as.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Here in So. California, our prices for shells are higher than yours.

Economy shells, at Walmart, are around $24/100 plus 9.75% sales tax. I buy my components in bulk, and reload my own at $14.50/100 ... a considerable savings.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Cheapies can be had for $220/1000 or thereabouts on sale.

Premium shells are about $300-320/1000.

It is hard to believe our prices are higher but so it seems. Most of us reload and our costs are in the $130 to $160/1000 range depending on when we buy shot and if the reloader uses bulk buys.

Some people should not reload but we suffer those "ballisticians" with few accidents occurring.

Don Verna

4. clutey

clutey TS Member

Thanks for the response Ahab/Don, yes your cartridges do seem a lot more pricy and it's understandable why you guys are so big into reloads. Although I'm a UK resident I'm from N Ireland and our shells are more pricy than those on the Mainland. There are a few here who do reload their own shells but I think it's more a hobby than cost saving. As I say though with the cost of the shells constantly on the rise here, more and more will I'm sure start reloading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.