1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by aircraftmechanic2000, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aircraftmechanic2000

aircraftmechanic2000 TS Member

So I have just under 50,000 registered targets, never once that I can recall, shot a re-load in my entire shooting career. When I was a kid I used to shoot at least 5000 targets a year, latley its been more like 500. I want to shoot more now that the family is more interisted in it, but DAMN those STS that I used to shoot are waaay out of my blue collar price range. In fact, Estates, gun clubs, top guns, RIOs... they are all a chunk of change.

So I have been considering getting into reloading. keep in mind even now I probably will only be shooting about a thousand registered targets a year.
    Should I get a old MEC single stage? (cheap) with that unit, am I even going to be able to make a load thats worth a darn? Will I save enough money to justify doing it? I dont mind spending a little time doing it.

Just give me your thoughts, I know that i should be able to get an oppinion on a trapshooting forum.

dead a pair

Guy

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I make a shell that duplicates STS shells for $4.xx/box. That's a savings of over $3.00 per box.

I've only shot 1,000 or so registered targets and maybe another 4-5K of my reloads but I've never had one of my shells not go bang and I've never missed a bird because of a reload.

You can make a quality shell on MEC, I'm more of a PW guy myself though.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

An expensive Mec press or a cheap Mec press make the same quality reload. Only the time and effort it takes to reload a box of shells is different. Getting a progressive press is well worth the extra money. HMB

4. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I use a MEC grabber to load a 1oz shell for 16's. I have absolute faith in my reloads and would rather shoot them than new. My cost is approx $3.28 per box so the savings are pretty good as well. I also enjoy the time spent reloading.

Rich (reloading since day one) in Indiana

5. pete1955

pete1955 TS Member

You can make very good shells for about 4.00 bucks a box. I have not been reloading that long myself and actually enjoy reloading about as much as shooting them. You would do fine with a mec jr and can run over a 100 shells a hour easy. Just make sure you buy your components in bulk to save some money. Buy your primers by the 5000, powder by the 8 lb container, shot by the 10 bag lot or more and wads by the case of 5000. The shot is the most expensive part. You would enjoy the loading process if you have a little time to do it.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

How many practice shells will you fire in addition to that ±1000 registered targets you expect to shoot?

You might want to use one of the reloading cost calculators available on this web site (see the index on the Home page) to get a sense of how much you will save compared to how much time/effort you will have to devote to saving it. Don't forget to include the time/money you will have to spend to set up the facilities you'll want to do your reloading in.

MK

7. Sparky30-06

Sparky30-06 TS Member

I would go with a mec 900g with an automate. Yea it's $950 or a 9000g alone is $485. Great machine and easy to use. Yea you have to figure your time in also BUT if you can get your family involved with reloading shells and packing them it's time well spent together. Plus you can work your reloadsd up or down. make them soft hitting, or some heavy handycap loads. I would stay away from a single stage press, way way way to much work especially if the family is getting involved and hopefully you will start shooting alot more.

Sparky

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I started reloading in 1957 and consider it a separate hobby. Its good therapy. It gives you a sense of accomplishment when you shoot a good score with your home spun ammo.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Time is going to be the issue when you work and have a family. Buy in case lots. Get a progressive. I use Dillon's, but, there are other good ones out there. So I've heard.

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Its a simple math problem. You can save about 3 bucks a box if you buy premium shells (STS/AA) or half that if you buy budget shells. Just figure the cost of your reloading equipment (reloader/scales/etc) and it will become apparent to you very quickly how long it will take you to pay off your reloading equipment vs. buying shells.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a good manual machine, that way the exercise will help keep you in shape. Also have the reloading machine in your bedroom, so when you wake up in the middle of the night to go potty you can knock out 100 shells before you get back in bed. HMB

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

enlarged prostate?

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Speeding to the bottom without looking at all, I'll say that the biggest bang for the buck with a loader for someone with your needs is the MEC Grabber. This machine will produce a loaded shell with every stroke of the handle but you have to provide the horsepower and move the plate with the shells manually. The 9000 models will move the shell plate automatically but at an increased price and an increased possibility of it moving when you wish it had not. Making your own custom shells is very satisfying to most folks but it does require finding ways to buy components economically. Good Luck.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Here's my take on it. DON'T do it JUST to save money.

For me, its a sub-hobby to my shooting hobby. I kind of enjoy reloading.

If you hate making reloads, and its drudgery for you, its not worth the money you save.

Your time is worth something.

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"If you hate making reloads, and its drudgery for you, its not worth the money you save."</I></blockquote>

Absolutely true!

<blockquote><I>"Your time is worth something."</I></blockquote>

Only true is there is something productive you'd rather do than reload shells (and watching stick-and-ball games on TV while inhaling nachos doesn't count). If there isn't, you may as well reload shells.

MK

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Guy, How much spare time to you have??? Are you comeing back into shooting for 2 years or more??? You sure??? How much money are you willing to put down into it to start??? Yes you can save $4.00 plus on reloads from New STS's to a load that is just as good. Save maybe $2.00 or so from the cheapes and still have a better load. You will need to spend around $l,000 or so to get set up. Maybe drive halfway around your state as well. Yes, your single stage press will make great loads, and you can make around l50 or so shells per hour of your time. The machine is easy to learn and you can even get your children say around 12 years old or more into it. To keep prices as low as possible you need to get your shot by driveing to it. If possible get your primers and powder wads all in one load. Mail costs run into more money then you want to pay and the powder and primers have a Hazmat fee on top of the shipping fee (explosives). So the key is finding out who,what and where you can get all of your components at one time and drive to get them. I do abit of shooting when I up there so its not a wasted trip. If you want to pick-up the hulls on the ground and shoot other peoples hulls in all your guns, I would suggest a sizemaster reloader from mec as a better choice for your reloader. Progressive machines are faster, but come at a price. They make bigger messes,tend to drop short powder, make more bad loads before you find out what the problem is. need a permanent place on table. Do you have room somewhere where you can store and load. Need to keep this away from small children as well. Something to think about. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

17. jfesi

jfesi Member

I started with a used MEC 600 that I bought on Craigslist. It came with three powder bars, about 10 powder bushings, 70 pounds of assorted shot, around 3000 wads of different types, and a trashbag full of Nitro hulls for $75.00. I bought 1000 primers and a pound of Clays and loaded the first 500. The press needed a good clean up and some parts, but the parts are reasonable from MEC. Watch Craiglist. Here in St. Louis there are always at least three 600's for sale and most come with a lot of components from people that thought they would get into reloading but never did.
    I reload everything that I shoot, pistol, rifle, and shotgun rounds. For me it is a stress reliever at the end of the day, an easier way to tailor some custom loads, and the only way that I am able to shoot as much as I do. For me there is also a feeling of independence and accomplishment knowing that I made each round. To each his own though.

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

+1 on a Grabber. You'll wear yourself out AND make more mistakes on a single stage. Get a Grabber and don't look back.

19. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

I got into reloading the last couple of months and bought a used PW 800C and love it. I have loaded about 5000 shells, the advise on buying bulk is true. I bought 16 pounds of powder, 8 bags of shot, 5000 wads and 5000 primers and I have 5000 STS's to shoot...it'll take me awhile to shoot them up, but it was fun loading and I learned alot!!! DO IT!!!

20. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I feel that the most bang for your buck is the MEC Grabber. Just make sure that the charge bar travels correctly and that the primer drops before advancing to the next stage. You do have to stay focused while reloading just like shooting.

Rich (likes reloading) in Indiana

PS A good source for components is a must. Check with the regulars at your club. Some guys get together and buy in bulk.