1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fatboy50, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatboy50

fatboy50 TS Member

i have a mec 9000g reloader i am having a problem getting 19.2 gn with a #32 bushing i am getting between 18.3 to 18.6 one out of 10 is 19 i could use some help

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

File the inside of your bushing out a little at a time until you get exactly what you want it to drop. Bulge.

3. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Try buying a new bushing and tryin it. Pull the handle with smooth even strokes. That's just a start from my experience.

Jack

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

If the next size larger bushing does not come close make the hole a little larger. If you vary that much from one drop to the next you may have a static problem.

Some use fabric softer sheets cut into strips and hung inside the powder tube. Also it is a good idea to ground the machine.

Rock

Jim

5. fracdog

fracdog TS Member

I drill my bushings until they drop what I want, then mark them.

6. citadel

citadel Active Member

What do you use to ream them out with, just a drill or something special. I would be worried that the inside of the bushing would be rough just using a drill.
    doug doug@citadel-usa.com

7. njwoodworker

njwoodworker Member

Try buying a larger bushing and paint the inside diameter with clear nail polish until you get the deop you want. This has the advantage of being removable if you put too much on or change powders in the future.
    Dan

8. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Try a powder baffle for more consistent loads.

mc

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

I think Mr. Charles has the answer.

In an earlier life I loaded on a Grabber 8567. I found a large variation in powder drops until I installed a powder baffle. Had to use two bushings larger but doing so gave me a maximum of .2 gr. variation. At that time I was loading almost every night and B4 starting a loading session I would sample 2 or 3 drops to get the powder flowing. Another option would be to empty the powder bottle after each loading session. Hope this helps.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

10. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

Fatboy,

Just a quick look at the bushing chart I notice that bushing #32 is for 19.2gr. of red dot. Is that the load you are trying to use?

Also with the progressive reloaders you usually need to go up 1 or sometimes 2 bushings to get the drop you want. This is because on the progressive reloaders drop powder on every downstroke of the handle where as a single stage has up to 5 strokes to let the powder settle in the bushing. Below is a note from the Mec Bushing Guide.

note: Amount of
    powder thrown by
    bushings was calculated
    using single stage
    reloaders. Progressive
    reloaders tend to throw
    a lesser amount. Please
    verify by using an
    accurate scale.

11. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

To adjust MEC bushings, I've used a piece of Emery cloth secured to a drill bit. You want to "polish" out the extra space..not DRILL it out.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bushings are easily enlarged with a rat tail file and reduced with finger nail polish (the color of the polish is not important). I have a lot of powder bushings. I may even have one that has not been modified but I doubt it.

Pat Ireland

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I took Pat's advice and started using a rat tail file and/or clear fingernail polish last year and am well pleased.

Before that, so long as all loads were consistent, I didn't give a crap (see thread on crap). The reloading tables might have called for 19.5 or Green Dot but if the bushing dropped 19.3 and they were all the same, that was OK with me.
    Now, using the rat tail file method, I get 19.5 grins of Green Dot.

Don't forget to use the rat tail file on your charge bar so that you get a full load of the size of shot you are using.

I found it best to buy extra charge bars and bushings as they are not that expensive.

Always weigh your powder and shot drops when you begin reloading.

I use a MEC Grabber and/or a MEC 9000G. I try to reload as smooth as possible and allow time to get a full drop of powder. Always watch the travel of the charge bar to ensure that it is smooth. If the bar has a jerky motion, you may need to adjust the rubber washers that touch the bar under the powder and shot bottles.

I use the powder baffle and do not over tighten the powder and shot bottles.

Ed Ward

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can use a brake hone in a drill to increase the size of a bushing, and it won't be ruff if you lube the hone.

15. 687EELL

687EELL TS Member

School_Teacher,

You say that you use a powder baffle, which one, the red plastic or metal one? Also you say you may need to adjust the rubber washers, how do you adjust rubber washers? If you use the red plastic baffle, you will not need a rubber washer under the baffle neck as it will ride on top of the bar, and there is no need to have a rubber washer under the shot bottle, and if you think you do....WHY? ...........Rick Johnson

16. hduc2005

hduc2005 TS Member

Get the red plastic one and no brass ring or washer

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

687EELL:

I use the red plastic baffle.

On my MEC Grabber, which I bought around 1985, I use the red plastic baffle with no rubber washer under the powder bottle. I also use only the brass washer under the shot bottle. Why, I don't remember but everything works smooth that way on the Grabber so long as I don't over tighten the powder and shot bottles.

On the MEC 9000G, I use a red plastic baffle and a rubber washer under the powder bottle. Under the shot bottle, I use a rubber washer and a brass washer with the dimples facing up. I do this as the 9000G is new this year and that is the way MEC said o set up the 9000G.

As to adjusting the rubber washers, I gently insert them into the opening for the powder and shot bottles. I then screw in the bottles being careful to simply tighten them so that they do not vibrate. If the bar cycles correctly, I leave them this way. If the bar develops a bind, I remove the powder and shot bottles (contents removed first) and reinstall the rubber washers.

I think that I will try the MEC 9000G without the rubber washers, just as I have my MEC Grabber set up.

I use the MEC base that lets you quickly change loaders with only loosening and tightening two screws. This is a great invention.

The MEC 9000G requires a little more downward force on the handle to cycle as you are compressing a spring that cycles the shell plate automatically. In order to be as smooth as possible, I insert a wad with my right hand and hold the wad against the wad ram and above the wad guide. I pull the handle down gently with my left hand until it nears the bottom of the stroke. At this point, the powder and shot have not dropped. The wad is now in the wad guide and partially in the hull.

I then add my right hand to the handle and pull down using both hands. I hold the down stroke for a couple of seconds to ensure that the powder has filled the bushing. I then gently raise the handle, insert another hull and wad and repeat the process.

I may add an Automate to the 9000G next year. Right now, I really like the MEC 9000G. It is, IMO, faster than the MEC Grabber, even pausing to allow a complete filling of the powder bushing.

Ed Ward

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Do not under any circumstances put anything in the Powder Drop Tube, dangerous thing to do, you could blow up a gun doing this, anything can happen putting any static strips or other object on powder drop tube.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. Grizzly

Grizzly TS Member

Why mess with all the bushings? Install an adjustable charge bar, I wouldn't load without it. It is so easy to tweak your setting to get what you want and I also use a powder baffle as well.

I love my adjustable charge bar...

Cya, Grizzly

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Grizzly- Adjustable charge bars do not work well on PW pressed. The reason for this is that PW presses do not have a charge bar.

flincher100- Some of us like to load the best shells that we can. Fluctuations in powder drops can make a significant difference in our heads.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.