1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cuky, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuky

Cuky Member

Hi I am really new in reloading and my question is what is the safe range powder drop if the reloading manual say 17.3 gr. of powder and my bushing let go 17.5 gr. Is it safe?

2. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

I would say that .2grains of powder is not going to make that much of a difference. It is safe? Yes. When loading, watch the pressure of the load as published in the reloading manuals. You want to keep pressure as low as possible and still provide you consistent target breaking energy.

3. yobyllib

yobyllib TS Member

Agreed,nothing to notice or worry about.
    One must remenber that your shotgun barrel was probably nitro proved at twice that much.
    not that you should go there or get careless,but the hull has a point of disintegration,and their usefull life gets shortened .
    Most reloding manual say to start at 5 to 10% below listed,and that can apply to starting loads also,so I drop a 17grn charge to 16 grains to give me more head .

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Generally, if the powder drop is within a few tenths of the listed load data, it's not much to worry about, UNLESS you are at the top end of the pressure limits. If you are under 10,000 PSI or so to begin with, not much to worry about. You can always go to the next smaller bushing if you are worried. That would give a little more headroom for error and normal variables. You won't lose much in performance and you'll save a little on powder, provided your load is within normal limits. In cold weather, you could end up going too low with very light loads. I look for a load that is somewhere between 8000 and 9500 PSI or so. Use the exact components listed in the data. A simple primer substitution could increase pressure dramatically. It could also stay about the same or drop dramatically. It's a crapshoot and it's better to stick with the published data as it is written.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.