1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shoottilithurts, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

a friend reloads for me, sts hulls, 1 1/8oz shot, 8 petal downrange wads, 18gr green dot...when i rest my gun on the rubber pad, i notice flakes of green powder...what does this say, and should i change the recipe? thanks in advance...milt luther

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yes!

It is too light a charge and you are getting incomplete burning! It should be 20 gr of Green dot.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Most likely your friend needs to use a hotter primer. Is he using a cheddite or wolf? Other possibles, not a deep enough crimp or wad not sealing efficiently in hull.

4. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

pheasantmaster...the primers are remington

ahab...the cure for incomplete burn is to add more? thanks milt

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are a lot of variables to consider. Ask youself the following questions. Do all the shots feel the same? Are the target breaks good? Do I break a lot of targets? Will I be using this load in cold weather?

If there is a problem with the load you are using you could switch to a hotter primer, like a Winchester 209. Probably a good idea if your shooting in cold weather.

On the other hand if everything is working OK then leave it alone. HMB

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I think Ajax is right, go with the Winchester primer,more pressure,better burn. GOOD LUCK

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I never shoot cold shells. On league nights I bring my shells to the car and go to the club. I bring them in. If it is VERY cold, like less than 0 degrees, I usually have a handwarmer in the pocket with the shells. ( a Chemical one, not a combusting one.)

Never a problem. I have noticed there are some combinations over the years that have problems in cold weather.

Hotter primers, higher pressure loads, etc help. Claybuster Lightning 7/8 oz wads have given me cold weather problems.

A "AA" pattern wad will produce higher pressure than one with a flat bottom, and in the same recipe works better in the cold.

Keep 'em warm for less trouble.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.