1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by winselect, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winselect

winselect TS Member

Can someone tell me how much it costs to reload a box of 12GA. My son and I are shooting about 250 rounds a week and Im wondering if reloading will bw worth it. Im buying Rio's at our gun club for 63.00 bucks a flat.

Kevin

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Why don't you price out the componets and then use the reloading cost calculator that is on this site. Depending on where you live will determin what your savings will be.

ec90t

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

There are to many variables in cost,use the cost calculator on this site, but reloading is less expensive

Bill

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Kevin, I was in the same exact situation as you a couple months ago.

My 13-year old son started on an SCTP team this year and we are now shooting in excess of a flat a week. (I might shoot one or two rounds in a friendly ice cream wager.)

He has been shooting Top-Guns for $53.00 SCTP special price. I decided that reloading would give my son and I some additional time away from these damn computers and it might even save us a few bucks.

I played with the reloading calculator and decided if I could get below $4.00 a box, we would do it. If you buy smart, you can get well below that point (NOT INCLUDING HARDWARE.)

According to the calculator we are now loading at $3.66 a box thanks to Recob's Target Shop.

Old Style AA's (Couple thousand in the basement)
    Wolf Primers (Same data as Win 209) (Case of 5,000)
    Claybuster 1100-12 (WAASL equal) (Case of 5,000)
    18.5 Promo (Case of two 8 lb jugs)
    1 oz #8 shot (buy a 10 bag minimum)

I don't have a chrono, but this should be about 1235fps but the recoil is not bad at all. I might buy smaller bushing and try to get down to 1200fps.

Now the real beauty of the story is.... His last 100 with our reloads were 24-24-23-23.

SW

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Here's some guidlines beyond cost though. You have to ignore your time. If you say, "Well I could could be earning $20 hours instead!" then it's a lost cause for you. If you count the original cost of a good reloader and scale, you'll battle with whether it's worth it or not. If you have to buy hulls to get started, same thing. So, you must be somewhat settled in that you will reload for the enjoyment of the time spent, perhaps with a son, daughter, or bride, realize that hardware must be included, and realize you must scrounge, save, or buy hulls to start, and consider you can make custom shells to your liking for speed or recoil for a younster then it's very well worth loading your own.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like Bob Dodd's reply but would like to expand on that thought a bit.

I have been 'rolling my own' ammo since I was about 12 and find this to be an integral part of my shooting hobby. More recently, my 8 year old daughter has taken an interest in my loading shop and is my 'apprentice' - boy does she have questions. These types of experiences can't be measured in terms of monetary benefit such as the cost per loaded round, they are much more than that (for me at least). So if your main interest is time and money don't fool around with reloading. If your looking to expand your shooting hobby and extend your quality family time then loading shotshells might be for you.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

great answers Bdodd and wolfram-the value of reloading goes way beyond cost

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Reloading can be almost as addictive in it's own way as shooting. I find myself always wanting to try out a new load. I have now gone to 7/8 ounce loads for all my 12 gauge practice and 3/4 ounce for my 20 gauge. I would have a hard time finding either on the shelves where I live even if I wanted to buy them.

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Spending the time with my son and the excitement he gets shooting good scores with the reloads was supposed to be the just of my my e-mail too.

I guess I got to carried away in the middle on the price thing.....

We'll see how he does with another 6 boxes or so tonight!

SW

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Reloading to save money is a myth of some sorts, Really If I could find a part time job that fit into my schedule right or my boss offered OT. I would just do that for the extra $$$ to support my shooting habit. That said
    1. your best bet is to find a grabber 8567 loader used, I find this is the best all around mec loader and can be found a great deals if you look.
    2. Do Not be afraid of a progressive loader. LOAD only one shell at a time(like the nec directions tell you) Until you get the hang of it.
    3. finding the cheapest components is not always the best thing, for me it is not the best thing. I like STS hulls, STS primers , STS wads, Clays powder.
    4. It is still cheaper than buying STS new. I have switched primers for lack of STS209 availability.
    5. If you can save a 1 box that's 10.00 a week 40 month 420 a year.
    6. With a grabber or 650 or 9000 you can easily crank out 250 in 1 hour or less once you get the hang of it.
    7. I only load on days I would normally shoot but cant, mostly when it is raining.
    8. I like some have got the 7/8 bug, I am loading them on the slow side 1145fps they just work for me.
    9. also what is available to you for components, here in mass its a pain to get anything local, have it shipped is a problem. More and more places will not ship to Mass.
    10. I started reloading because my wife, need some light loads, like win lites and sts managed recoil, You will never find those in stock here in mass.

There is a lot to think about if you buy all new loading equipment your looking at 200.00 plus or 3.5 cases of rio's. your shooting 250/1case week

Price out the components use the cost calculator here on TS.com or Google it. Enter your numbers. It will even figure out how long to pay back your loader.

good luck.

11. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

As many have stated above accurately, reloading just for cost savings is possibly not sound.

That said, it really matters not. I enjoy reloading, almost as much as shooting. I can dial in a 1 oz load, and will probably do some 7/8's shortly. I am sure both will work great if I do my job. Like PBB says on here "speed kills" and I have found I like them faster than slower when loading light lead.

I will no doubt never cover the cost of my reloader, hydraulic unit, bench, shell feeder, digital scale, enhancements and other stuff. When I find components that I like, I load up. I am still shooting 22.00 new lead, 89.00 powder, 21.00 winchester primers, 52.00 wads. When those are gone, the prices will be higher, but that's life.

I don't mean to financially foolish, far from it. I just feel for me reloading is great enjoyment with the sport, and part of the game. I am absolutely convinced my reloads are superior to new factory throw away shells. I reload STS and Nitro hulls exclusively, and will probably never run out in my lifetime. I have something like 8000 of them stored up.

If you load to save money, then I believe MEC is a great way to go, and the payback period will be pretty short. I load because it is fun, and the enjoyment factor is greater than the cost of equipment and parts.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I did a quick run down rios 63.00/case x 52 weeks 3276.00 per year or 13,000 rnds @ .25 rnd
    All componant prices are from my last order figures on 5000pcs and 8lbs powder
    Loading 1oz shot and 17g powder total amount to load 13,000 rnds
    new mec 8567 loader 340.00 New RCBS 505 scale 70.00 410.00
    32.5 bags of shot to load 13000 rnds @ 30.00/25lbs 975.00
    2.6 cases of wads @ 76.00/5000 197.60
    31.7lbs of clays at 17g per round 8lb/98.50 3.97#8 jugs 391.00
    2.6 cases CCi 209 primer 150/5000 390.00
    Hulls seem to be @ .04 per hull right now so consider loading each hull 5 times you will need 2600 hulls per year( im sure you can get some for free) I just use Remington game loads hulls free for the taking. OK so 104.00

you could save about 809 per year. ? Useing your price of 6.30 per box and what I load I would save 2.35 per box with buying hulls once the loader is "paid for" you would be saving about 1200.00 These prices are from Feb/march
    check out new prices to get idea of the savings

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Winselect, something else to think about here that has not been brought up. You will need a nice size area to set-up reloader,bench,cabs,misc. to reload. You will have to buy all your components in large amounts to save the most money. You need room to keep and store this stuff.Most buy 16 lbs or more powder 10,000 to 20,000 primers at a time. Wads the same. Shot is something that you really need to find locally. Alot of reloaders buy a ton of shot at a time. It is costly to ship by mail, but their are some out there that you can do. Plus the machine and scale to start with. It will cost you alot to get set-up this way. Try to use someone's reloader at your club and see if you like it. While reloading can be fun, it can really become a chore if your not into it. Plus it will not save you money if you count your time, that is for sure. Good Luck and break-em all. Jeff

14. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

I like the reloading as much as the shooting. that said I thinkyou have to look inside yourself-- as to what you want or can do. I taught automechanics for 32 years. Some people want to know and want know how to fix. Outhers could care less. Just want to put the gass in. Had a shop for a while. When they come in with cracked heads and boiling over I learned that they didn't care to learn about Just want to drive. Well then pay the price and go on. Same with shells - some people just want to shoot and watch tv-- don't waste my time reading the charts-- finding what components suit your special needs.I find it is within you. Not what you save-- though we all like to get a good deal on components. yes and if you can buy in quantity you will always be shooting at two or thre years ago prices. I have several size masters set up and I will never run out of shells. listening to the radio and cranking away is recreation for me. If I ask someone at the club about reloading and they say I buy them by the case . I don' say another word. Its their loss! Marv

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

One advantage of reloading not mentioned above is the ability to develop and produce shells that specifically fulfill your individual desires and needs. You can produce a specific shell for the first shot of doubles or your individual handicap yardage. I also believe it is very easy to produce a reload that is equivalent to the best factory ammunition available and is much better than the discount ammunition that is now popular.

I shoot approximately 10,000 reloads and 7,000 factory AA shells each year. I believe that my reloads are at least equivalent in quality to the factory shells I shoot. I also have indisputable data that clearly shows I can miss targets with either excellent reloads or premium factory shells.

Pat Ireland

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Pat, reason 10 on my post, I needed light loads for wife, now Im hooked on reloading, for myself also.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Do not worry about the price of the reloader.

If you ever leave the hobby of reloading you will get most of your money back if you buy a new machine. You will probably make a little if you buy a used machine.

If possible try before you buy. The good machines are not cheap but they will last a lifetime and will load quality shells very quickly.

I will guess that as a dad you do not have a lot of time on your hands so take the plunge and buy a progressive machine. If money is tight, a MEC 9000G is the bottom line machine. Many like them - I hated mine. From there you move up into the Hornady 366, RCBS Grand, Dillon 900, Ponsness Warren (the 800+ is a great choice) and the Spolar. Do a search and you will read opinions of pluses and minuses.

Like I said - try before you buy - if you can.

You will save money and and be able to tailor you ammo. That is why most of us reload.

Don

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Reloading at average costs in this area would put your cost under $50 a flat with decent components. A little shopping or using "economy" components would get you down well under $45. I don't count the cost of hulls, since I don't usually pay for them. I also have a good supply of shot from another time when you didn't need a mortgage to buy ten bags. I get a decent load for less than premium factory would cost. I also get a little down time while loading, so my friends and neighbors get the benefit of the stress relief. I have also created a monster, since the S.O. needs a special light load in order to shoot. Factory just doesn't do it for her anymore.

I also get the benefit of a taylored load for my firearms. I chronograph my loads and do a lot of pattern testing as well. I just make it a habit to reload only when I'm not distracted or in a hurry. I don't like mistakes and don't make very many when reloading. They usually make a mess on the reloading bench instead of leaving me flat on the trap field. I've had more trouble with factory loads than with my reloads.

19. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I am retired, don't need a part time job, I enjoy reloading, and contrary to what some will say, one can save a buck..... Enough said?.....Roger

20. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Rolling your own WILL save money, but there are a few things you need to remember,to keep cost within reason. You don't need an expensive reloader. A Mec Grabber will fill the bill quite well and you can probably find a used one for a reasonable price.A single stage will get the job done, but a progressive is MUCH faster. Buy components in bulk to save money. Don't try cutting corners loading junk hulls. The quality hulls will save you time and money because of the fewer GOOF UPS you will make. My advice is find a load that you like and stick with it for the most part. I mostly load PROMO now and have been pleased with it. That way I'm not constantly changing stuff on my loader.Loading is an enjoyable hobby. I doubt if reloading is very cost effective unless you shoot a lot, but if you do it helps save some money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.