1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cuky, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Cuky

Cuky Member

I just got federal gold medal plastic shells and reload them for first time but the crimp is too deep. I used claybuster wads. My reloads with AA or Remington hulls are perfect with the same set up. Should I use different wad in gold medals? Thank You.

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

Which CB wads did you use??? the CB2100-12 works for 1 oz. and the CB2118-12 is suitable for 1 1/8oz. in the GM hull.

Let us know. We'd be interested in your results.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. SBray

SBray Active Member

What kind of powder did you use in the other hulls?

Steve

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The Federal GM takes a straight wall wad. The wad is usually taller than wads for tapered cases because of the extra room in the Federal case.

Ajax

5. Cuky

Cuky Member

I used Clays powder and CB 1118-12 wads winchester primer.

6. rudifer81

rudifer81 TS Member

I ran into similar problems using the claybuster wads, switched back to Federal 12S3 wads, better results. The floor thickness of the shotcup in the Claybuster is thinner than the Federal wad. i also backed off the final crimp just a bit. I load 18.2 grs, 700X with the 12S3 wad and Fed. 209.

7. RainmanRFW

RainmanRFW TS Member

The Federal hulls require a straight wall wad whereas the Win AA and Remington are tapered wall hulls requiring a wad appropriate for that hull (Fed 12S3 for 1-1/8 oz, 12S0 for 1oz). You can get a deep crimp if you're using a 1-1/8 wad wtih only 1 oz of shot.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You need to try the "s" series wads for the Gold Medal. 12so(cb2100-12) for 1oz and 12s3(cb2118-12) for 1-1/8.

Good luck,

Ajax

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ajax has it right - use those wads or a clone there of. You can also use the federal type wads in the abundant top gun and estate hulls with good results.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Tweak your machine!!!!

Curt

11. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Ajax is correct. you need federal style wads with your gm hulls. CB wads use the first # on their product to identify who they are copying. CB2..... is a federal copy, straight wall hulls . As for the tapered hulls theres : Windjammers cb4.... Theres crossover with Rem and Win wads. Both Rem =cb8.... with Win = cb1.... or CB0....

12. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

One other comment is that you WILL have to adjust your machine if you want to get factory looking crimps. My experience is that each brand has a specific set of pre-crimp and crimp adjustments. Proper powder and wad stackup is a given.

13. Hookedonshooting

Why Gold Medal, cause of the lower chamber pressures they produce? Windjammer does same thing on your AA hulls. Depending on powder, chamber pressure being low isnt always the best thing. Not arguing against GMs. just prefer the sts and other remington hulls. The AA's and my PW are not the best fit for a couple of reasons.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You should not use Win. AA wads in a Federal Gold Metal hull. You need a Federal wad that is a strait-walled wad. The AA's wads are used in tapered cases. Use the CB2118-12 wad for that case (l l/8 oz shot). Were did you find data to load that wad??? It is very common to have to adjust the machine every time you switch hulls around. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

15. Hookedonshooting

Jeff - you are correct. The adjusting of my PW isnt worth my time since i have a ton of Rem hulls. But its a real shame my M12 does not like the steel bases on the Gun Clubs. Man what a good hull.

16. SBray

SBray Active Member

Cuky,

The reason I asked about the powder you were using, is that I thought a bulkier powder might take up some more space to fill the gap and give you better crimps. I believe that one can spend a lot of time adjusting the stations to eventually make quite a difference to the crimp, but the powder volume may make it near impossible to get" the factory look".

I was hoping to see comments from others with more experience than I have at it.

Steve

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Start collecting STS and Nitro27 hulls, and forget about all the guesswork.

Bob Falfa

18. dhip

dhip Active Member

I use the claybuster tgt clone in the gold metals I reload.1 ounce 18gr promo,look like factory crimps when done.However,I did have to tweak my Mec as mentioned above to get the look.LOL,only problem now is if I switch to winchester universals the pre crimp is too deep and concaves the crimp.That's probably why many only load one type of shell,adjustments have to be made when you change shells for sure,only took me 3yrs to learn that,LOL,,but ,hey,it's all in the fun of things anyways.

Doug H.(pa)

19. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Federal plastic shells need the Fed 12S3 style wad, not the Win AA style.