1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cuky, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cuky

Cuky Member

I would like to ask which hull is better for reloading Winchester HS or Federal plastic gold medal. I know Remington STS is the best but if you have to choose one which one you would take? Thanks Peter.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think it's 6 of 1 and a 1/2 dozen of the other with those choices. I'd probably take the Federal if I had to pick.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I'd wait....until some STSs or Nitro27s came along. They're worth a heck of a lot more than the 1 or 2 cent difference in price.

4. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I agree with the above post. STS is best. Out of the other two, if you asked me 10 years ago I would have said Winchester. Now I would say Federal because I don't like the AA HS hull.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take either of them, if someone was giving them away, but I'm set up to load Remingtons. I don't want to mess with reloader adjustments and different wads, etc. Mark

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd take the AA's just because they and Remington cases use the same components.

The federals are a straight walled case...

7. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

As BigM says, Feds. are for straight wall cases and take wads for that function. AA's and Rems., including Gun Club, are excellent for reloading and of course take wads for tapered hulls. They all work good if you match-up the correct wad/hull.

Now that you are reloading you can shoot more often and make speciality loads like 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads. Good luck with it.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I prefer Federal Paper and Ribbed Gold Medal Plastic over STS or Winchester. Always have and always will. Remington and Winchester are OK but I just prefer Federal's.

I seem to be seeing a lot more Federal Premium shells being used now.

Ed Ward

9. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I prefer the Federal ribbed hull over the AA HS. The reason is that the Fed hulls runs very smooth through my loader and make beautiful crimps. The AA HS make my loader jump, bump and run rough which spills shot out of the hulls just before the pre-crimp stage. I think this is because the wad, when being seated, catches momentarily on the internal lip of the two piece AA hull.

jmac

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Cuky,,,,Winchester AA and Federal Gold Medals are both great hulls. But they take different wads, and different data. A -AA takes a tapered wad, a FGM takes a straight walled wad. Both hulls are an excellent choice. As far as your perception of STS's being the best, I would disagree. My prefered hull is a Remington Nitro or Sporting Gold. Handicaps and games a FGM.

Wayne

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Federal G M. hands down. Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester hs plastic hull