1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bucrub, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucrub

bucrub TS Member

needing to purchase a new reloader for reloading handgun ammuntion. looking to see what others use and why they chose what they did. thanks for any information you wish to share.

2. skip

skip Member

Budget?

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

I like a dedicated reloader for the stuff I am going to shoot in quantity.

I strongly recommend an auto-index loader for pistol to minimize the chance of a double charge.

My pistol loaders are two Dillon 1050's a 650 and a Star.

Don Verna

4. TT

TT TS Member

The Star Machine Works universal reloader has been the best for many years, being patiented in 1933. StarReloaders.com is a good source for the machines. tt

5. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Single caliber, I recommend the Dillon Square Deal B. Multiple calibers and faster output, go for the Dillon 650XL + case feeder. Both put out quality reloads and the company's customer service is second to none. Chichay

6. neofight

neofight TS Member

I recently bought an RCBS Rockchucker to load .38s and .357s. Not a progressive, but so simple and if anything, over-built. it's a tank! Smooth as silk I am not a high volume shooter, so this works quite well for me. Often, when i am out in the shop piddling around, i'll look over at the re-loader and think to myself:"why not" and go over and load up a couple hundred real quick. Good therapy.

If you set up a system of loading, no need to worry about double charges if you do it right. After sizing and priming my cases, i load the powder and set the cases in a loading block, shine a light in them to insure i did not load a double before finishing them up with the lead and crimp.

7. neofight

neofight TS Member

I recently bought an RCBS Rockchucker to load .38s and .357s. Not a progressive, but so simple and if anything, over-built. it's a tank! Smooth as silk I am not a high volume shooter, so this works quite well for me. Often, when i am out in the shop piddling around, i'll look over at the re-loader and think to myself:"why not" and go over and load up a couple hundred real quick. Good therapy.

If you set up a system of loading, no need to worry about double charges if you do it right. After sizing and priming my cases, i load the powder and set the cases in a loading block, shine a light in them to insure i did not load a double before finishing them up with the lead and crimp.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Many moons ago I used a single stage to load .38's. My method to avoid a double charge was to charge the powder, immediately put the bullet on the case mouth and seat the bullet. If the case never leaves your hand, it is nearly impossible to double charge unless you get VERY distracted.

The Dillon 550 has the greatest risk for double charging as it is manually indexed but the powder will drop with every stroke. I do not use mine for pistol calibers very much and take extra care if doing so.

If I was buying a machine now, I would look at the Hornady Lock-n-load AP. For a bit more money than a 550 it seems a good value.

Don Verna

9. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Depends on volume, a lot, then Dillon 550,

A little or lots of different calibers, then RCBS Rockchucker....

STAR, no way.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.