1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADING ZINK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by f18, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f18

f18 Member

Has anyone tried making shot out of zink?

2. gotbass

gotbass Member

zinc? Sorry, couldn't resist.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I've been experimenting with Zinc/Lead for some time now. I've had some success, but mostly failures.

Ajax

4. f18

f18 Member

What I was thinking, if someone has tried melting zink and making their own shot.
    Mick

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, Zinc is the stuff that will clog up a shotmaker in a heartbeat. Maybe with some specialized equipment, but it does not mix well with lead shot drippers. I've seen some swaged Zinc bullets, but never tried any, nor do I know how the experimenter made out with them. I'm sure if it were a really good thing, you'd have seen a LOT of information and products out there.

6. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

Some years ago we cast .38 bullets out of zinc and ended up with galvanized barrels. I would suggest not to use zinc for fire arm projectiles

7. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

f18

The same thing crossed my mind when I started getting zinc wheel weights in with the lead ones while melting lead into ingots. I ruined a batch of lead ingots by gettiing the melting pot too hot and making an alloy out of the two materials. The mixture would not flow like the lead and stuck to the ramp on my shotmaker. I believe the zinc acts as a tinning agent like flux used for soldering makes the solder stick to the wire.

I had an idea but have not had time to experiment as of yet. I was thinking of making another type of shotmaker that would not have a ramp,just the drippers over the coolant at a distatnce that would allow the drops to form a sphere without gaining too much speed before hitting the coolant and distorting them.

Another thing to consider is the specific gravity of the two materials. Lead comes in at around 11.3 on the specific gravity chart. Zinc is about 7.0. Steel is about 7.9.The alloy created by using a mixture of wheel weights is anybody's guess. If you were to use pure zinc, I think it would be necessary to go up on the size of the shot, maybe somewhere between a 6 or a 7 to get the weight of each piece of shot comparable to what we use now, so down range energy would be the same. (I realize 7 1/2 is the largest legal size for ATA)

If you wanted to try loading the cut wire zink shot you may be able to run it through a shot blaster or a tumbler to round it up before loading. Also I mentioned the weight of steel in the last paragraph. I was wondering if one could use wads and reloading data from steel shot to make this work. Before i got too serious about it I would send some loads in to make sure the pressures were within tolerance.

I dont work for NASA so these statements should be taken for what they are but maybe this will give you something to think about while your wife is telling you about her day.

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.