1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading with Promo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SpeedyWho, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

Easy question here. Is Promo a "dirty" powder? The price got me to buy some and try it. I am loading STS hulls Rem.209 primers and claybuster wads. It seems I get random flakes and more general mess than the factory ammo I've used. I am useing Alliants loading data. I've loaded and shot 500 rounds with good results.

2. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

It's dirty like old red dot,but I like the results I have had with it also and you can't beat the price.Jerry

3. trapp2012

trapp2012 Member

The only powder I reload with. Other then its twin red-dot. I typically load about 16.8 grains pushing 1 oz of 8's. That normally eqaute's ~1200 fps. And or enough to break targets from the 27 yd line under typical conditions.

4. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

I am loading about 18.8 gr for 1oz of 7.5s somewhere around 1250fps. Its bit much I'm gonna go one bushing down add see how that works out. I've got the Lymann reloader manual and scale to fine tune things.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

All powders leave something behind. Promo isn't much worse or better than most of the others in that regard. I use it in an 1100 and don't have any troubles with it being "Dirty".

6. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Promo here with 1100 trap. I just keep my gun cleaned alot.Not any dirtier than factory ammo. I clean the same amount with Rem factory hull. Don't see any difference.
    Good luck
    Railroad

7. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have noticed that if the pressures are below 9000 there is more powder flakes and smoke in the barrel after each shot. Once I increased the load slightly all that went away. Promo is all I use.

8. bud168

bud168 Member

I've used promo since it came up, I've never had any issues and love how it shoots.. As far as being dirty I've never had any issues with that either, I clean my gun though after every shoot.

- Kurt Nelson

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Promo is Alliants top selling powder.

I love it and on my approx 20th 8lb jug.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

After two more Flats of Promo, STS hulls, and 1oz of magnum 7.5s. I know I made the right choice. The recipe I chose kills 'em at 16 and 25yds. I am very pleased with everything I prefer my loads over the 1 1/8oz Gun Clubs I've been useing and they are cheeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.