1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading with Ched and Promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfg1, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfg1

jfg1 TS Member

Reloading components are getting much more difficult to find.
    The only Powder and Primers avalable were Promo and Cheddite.
    I don't seem to be able to find Load Data for this combination.

I was used to reloading W209 and 18.2 Clays with 1 oz shot.

This is a frustrating experience - Any Help out there?

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I use Claydot instaead of Clays--- as far as Win 209---I could not detect any reload performance difference with Noblesport & Cheddite-so if you can get a recipe for Red Dot & win 209 you should be good to go--I know I'm going to get trashed for stating the previous. But I don't think either your or your gun will know difference.

Phil erkowitz

3. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Promo loads the same as Red Dot. Just use the recipes for Red Dot. Chedites are a little hotter than Win. 209's so back off 1/2 a grain. Hope this helps.

4. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

I did call Alliant and the person I talked to told me exactly the same thing as Danny56 said.

5. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

So that was you I talked to this Morning. Small World after all. :)

6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Watch out for Quack!!!

He does not like it when people "publish" their own loads here on the net rather than use published data from the powder or primer manufacturers.

But... I agree to back off 1/2 grain. Its a tweener between Wins and Feds.

7. SCOTT MESSENGER

SCOTT MESSENGER TS Member

I've loaded cheddite primers for the last 5 years. Good primer, absolutely no problems. Promo is an excellent powder for the money. May I suggest the following: Federal Gold Medal, 18 grains Promo, and Federal 12S0 1oz. wad or Down Range 1 oz wad. If you prefer STS hulls, use
    18 grains promo, TGT12 wad and 1 oz shot. I've run 100 straight from the 16's with both of these loads.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I own a small reloading components business. You have just asked about my favorite load. I load Promo and Chedditte Primers all the time. I use it for 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce. I have loaded thousands of Chedditte and no misfires. I have been loading a great deal of Fiocchi's with Promo lately, and love them too! As mentioned above...it loads like Red Dot, but measure the loads as it doesn't drop as Red Dot.

9. perazzitm

perazzitm Member

I have loaded promo for the last 4 yaers and started just subsituting with reddot and 700x data, with no problems. But I went on the Alliant web site and checed out their load data , they now have quite a few loads for it in 1 oz to 1 1/8 oz.

10. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Folks,

What it really boils down to these days is what components are available to all of us in different geographical locations; if I had to have any of the "Big Three" primers, I'd be in trouble along with increasing reloading costs significantly. I can get Fiocchi and Cheddite, no Win, Fed, or Rem 209's at any cost, and I'm not willing to pay 30-40% more even if they were available in my area (No. Calif., Oregon, Washingto). We're forced to use recipies as close as we can get with the components availble to us. Most of us have spent time on the phone with the powder people for powder/primer/wad/hull combinations that aren't necessarily published. Fortunately there is a little slack in the shotshell reloading game but you need to be certain the load you are assembling isn't going to be a problem.

Cheers and good luck with this...

Larry A.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

BucPride29

When you work with stuff that goes BANG, a little caution is warranted. Start with low pressure data and use a little caution and common sense. If you don't know....ASK someone who does. I'm sure there are a lot of "unpublished" loads that are safe, but when someone posts a statement that you can just swap whatever you want, then I will usually take exception with it. There is a bit of data out there for the Cheddite and Fiocchi primers. Maybe not with the exact components you want to use, but there is enough to give you an idea where to start, IF you know what you are doing. If you really want to do it right, then you can always have some loads tested for velocity and pressure. It's not that expensive and you can get a good idea of how a particular combination performs. There is no excuse for carelessness and ignoring basic rules of safety.

It's simply amazing how many people seem to ask the same question about swapping primers and many people just giving some of the same bad answers. It's like a daily event. With some common sense and caution, you could come up with a workable load with almost ANY primer. The problem is people giving bad advice about those swaps AND not stressing the need for caution. It does not take much to drive the pressures over the line. You really need to do a reality check for any data posted on the net, even some from the powder companies might be wrong. A few years ago, Alliant was challenged on some of their data and they removed the suspect loads from their site. The problem is that these loads remain in print, since they were published in the older guides that are still out there.

WoodsonEnt

Matt, try putting some of your 1oz Promo/Fiocchi loads in the refrigerator or freezer and run them over a chronograph while still cold. Compare the results with what you get in warmer weather. It could be an eye opener.

I don't load Promo with Fiochhi primers for colder weather. I've had poor results. They seem to work alright for warmer weather. The Cheddite primers seem to work well enough for all temps. Simply select a load that has all of the "OTHER" components you want to use and is low enough in pressures to give you a little headroom for the change. Dropping the powder charge a bit could also be a good idea, depending on the original load you started with.

Some people have reported firing pin wear or damage from using the Cheddite primers. I've never experienced any.

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I recently researched Cheddite primers. My powder of choice is Clays or Clay Dot. There is only one published (Alliant, Hodgdon)formula using the Cheddite primer and either of these powders, and its a 1145fps load pushing 10,400psi. There are no 1 oz loads published. I don't think this is a good combination. Using Promo should be more versatile. In fact, I have a friend who prefers the Cheddite primer with Promo, as it shoots cleaner (less powder residue) than when he uses either WW209 or Rem209's. Look at the Red Dot formulas on the Alliant web site.

WNCRob

13. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Quack Shot,

Like you stated, Promo and Fiocchi's are probably not a cold weather shell. I never shoot unless the temperature is 50 degrees or warmer, so that is not a problem. I hate being cold!

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.