1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Winchester Universal Target shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Has anyone reloaded these? Any problems with the two piece wads which I presume they have like the AA's? Other comments, likes, dislikes!

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I reload the once fired Universals just like as if they were AAs, they reload beautifully and look like brand new!

Use once and leave them.

3. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Ahab's got it.

4. FlyerTom

FlyerTom Member

>Use once and leave them.

Why? I just reloaded 100 of them for the 3rd time, and they still look good. No splits in the folds, and the base wads look intact. I figure one more time before I chuck them for good.
    18.0 grs. Red Dot
    WAA12 wads with 1-1/8 oz. #8 shot
    W209 primer

5. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

What do you mean "2 piece wads"? AA's use a one piece wad designed for an internally tapered hull.

Some Federal hulls, which are "Straight Walled" use a 2 piece wad, and I believe the Winchester "Universal" is a straight walled hull but I am not sure if they use a 2 piece wad. I've never used any.

I don't have any experience reloading the Win's, but Fed's Top Gun or Esatate hulls seem to be a bit more substantial and do make for a good reload. I use a "clone" 12S3 wad with 700X. For a 1 1/8 (my bar actually throws slightly less) load: 16.5 grs. = 1140, and 17.8 grs. = about 1200 fps in 70 degree weather with win 209's, in my gun, over my chronograph.

I do check my chrono with factory STS before I chrono my loads and the STS 2 3/4 dram loads clock around 1170 fps. If this vary's, I belive the sun, etc. is causing a varience, and question the readings. This does not happen very often.

Hope this helps. When in doubt... Try to duplicate the best factory load, using the best components you have confidence in.

Reloading info from the manufacturers are good, but a chrono, and a good "feel" when comparing your shells are better.

Mix a bunch of the factory load you want to duplicate, with your reloads, and shoot a round of trap. Do yours: recoil the same... break the targets the same...function the same if you shoot an auto...etc.

Experiment. Get better!

P.S. My competition reloads are STS, not Fed Top Guns.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Shooter R: I think he mean't two Piecs hulls. I'm going on my 4th time reloading a bunch of these shells. My Dillon, O/U, Autoloader loves them. 1 1/8oz, PB or Clays, W209 Primers, w/Claybuster wads never a problem. Dave T.

7. Dave P

Dave T:m Nope, I meant two piec WADS as in what Winchester AA's had that caused so many separations a few years ago and subsequently caused many barrells to bulge. You don't hear much today about that. Any-body?

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I agree fully with the supersizer! I coach 4-H and college kids that bring these shells and they do sometimes stick in the chambers of several different gund brands on the line (even 870's). The supersizer makes these problems go away on the reloads. I, too, usually limit these to one load. I suppose they would go farther but I can get as many as I can use.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Dave-P. 12 Ga. AA's has never had two piece wads. They did change the way they hulls were designed and THEY are now two piece. As far as I know there have never been any barrels bulged with the latest version of the 12 ga. AA hull but there were anecdotal reports of the base wad loosening and traveling up the hull.

Some have reported finding the base wad in their barrels but I've never seen that confirmed anywhere. I have shot over 40,000 of them and have not seen even one base wad that has come loose. Just my experience. Shoot good, Barry.

10. Dave P

I meant Two Piece BASE WADS. Soryy for the confusion. Dave

11. FlyerTom

FlyerTom Member

Back on the 4th post I asked why one would reload WW's Universal hulls once then toss them, with no definitive reply. I just fired a batch of 100 yesterday for the 7th time, reloading them 6 times since August. I did toss them this time around because the crimps weren't coming out satisfactorily. Each time I've reloaded them, inspection showed that the case mouths looked good, the base wads were intact, and the primer pockets were still snug. Sure, they're cheapies, but I see no reason to chuck them so early unless someone has a different story to tell.

12. grouse 1970

grouse 1970 Member

To me a waste of time they dont load nice on a mec jr.maybe would work better on a mec 650 or grabber

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Only tried them once--they went through the mec super sizer just fine, did NOT stick in the chamber after firing & my 31TC is finicky--but even though the crimp appeared perfect it was swelled & made chambering difficult. Don't have any problems with Fed. promo loads-top gun- multi-purpose etc. don't load many of them as I have a good supply of STSs & gun clubs & a few Fed. papers. best hull life for me is STS & gun club, papers burn through at the brass in about 3 re-loads. Ross Puls

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No such thing as a two piece base wad. Winchester hulls used to be one piece, the base wad was part of the hull. Now the Winchester hull is made by joining two pieces together. This causes a small ridge at the joint which sometimes catches the edge of the wad when you try to seat it. HMB

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

They reload alright on my mec.

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading ww universal hulls

wad for winchester universal target shells

winchester universal straight or tapered