1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading Winchester Universal Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cwbanker, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwbanker

cwbanker Member

Does anyone have experience loading the inexpensive Winchester Universal hulls that you can buy at Wal-Mart? Do these shells load the same as the HS or compression formed plastic cases?

2. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

cwbanker, The Win. Universal hull is a straight wall hull with a rolled paper basewad and is similar to Federal's Top Gun hull. It loads best with a wad designed to be used in a straight wall hull. I prefer to load the Top Gun or the Estate hull. They crimp better in my press. Do you, by chance, hail from Sturgis, Mi? Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

They can be reloaded, but the soft hull means the load must fit the hull exactly and the crimp must be shallow. Even Winchester suggests NOT loading these hulls.

I have loaded a few, but no longer do so. I have heard rumblings of base wad separations. Since I very rarely shoot factory ammo, I am unlikely to see this first hand.

We have a very large SCTP at our club. They will be back at the club in the next couple of weeks, as the first shoot of the season at the club is Sept 20. Many of the kids shoot Winnie Super Targets and Universals. If I see a problem, I will post it. Since a lot of the kids shoot pumps and autos, we will likely see a bulged barrel if this problem is real.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My opinion:

Junk, better off to pick up Estates or Top Guns, reload once and toss.

Gun clubs are gettir if you must reload cheapies.

HM

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've reloaded the 20ga version of these hulls and they do nicely. Some of them have been loaded 3 or 4 times and still look good.

ec90t

6. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Hey capy ricky, I responded to cwbanker's post, not your's. I didn't read your's until later. I don't buy those hulls or shells, I have a friend who runs a club that hosts several leagues and I get my hulls from him. If I see some Universals in the hulls he gives me, I dispose of them. I remember cutting one apart several years ago and I believe it had a rolled paper basewad. I have no issue with what you replied to cwbanker, but I do have an issue with your response to my post. Sounds to me like you have a problem. You might try seeking some help. I hope cwbanker got his question answered and I don't intend contributing any more to hijacking his thread. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Load and shoot just like a TOP GUN. They work fine and look good. I shootem' once and throw them away. I like to shoot doubles with an auto and I usually save them for that.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Older Dove & Quail hulls had the paper basewad, but we are going back quite a few years.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

one note, when getting hulls from someone else, make sure they have not gotten wet. Why does he only give you the Feds??? Many members have been shooting these at our club(least exspensive at WM)Does he supply you with enough. I could get some from bag to box shipped out to you.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They are similar to the new AA hull. Not the same, but similar construction and they do have a PLASTIC basewad like the new AA. That said, any mild load for the AA hull should work, but you will probably experience a slightly lower velocity than you would achieve in the AA with the same load. I would not load them with anything that is near or over 10,000 PSI in the AA, just to be on the safe side. Getting a decent crimp is sometimes a bit of a challenge.

One load that apparently worked alright was a Winchester 209 primer, 18.2 - 18.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Winchester WAA12SL Pink Wad or clone, 1 oz of shot for just a little under 1200 fps. 19.4 to 19.8 grains of Green Dot will work well as would about 17.0 - 17.2 grains of Clay Dot. These loads should develop well under 10,000 PSI in the AA hull and produce around 1200 fps in the Universal. Be careful about primer substitutions, as some of these loads can produce significantly higher pressures if you swap them.

I don't load these hulls more than once.

11. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Capt Rick, I agree with you, MiShot has some marbles missing. BRG II Ps I load them all the time and they load nearly like the HS hull, except have a little more capacity.

12. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I have some I have reloaded four times and will roll them again, I use CB wads and greendot, I had some problems with the crimps with my old 650 and old style crimp starter, since I got my 9000 and the newer spindex crimp starter I have not had any more trouble, I load the cheap Federals with no problems at all but I blow out the smoke and check the bore after each shot. The cheap wally world Remingtons load pretty good too.

as for the new style AA's red, grey, and black I dont much care for them, not anywhere as good a hull as the original AA's

after reading some posts here about the steel bases I guess I could be wearing out the collet on my machine, if I do I will order another, MEC ships real fast on parts.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
reloading capacity winchester aa shell same as winchester trap load
reloading winchester hulls

reloading winchester universal hulls

reloading winchester universal shells
reloading winchester universal shotshells
winchester dove quail hull identifien
winchester hulls
winchester universal reloading