1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reloading wake up call

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

I've been reloading metalic cartridges for decades and only recently started shotgun. I read all I could, got a single stage MEC so I could do them nice and slow...one at a time.. and learn as I go. I've loaded about 4,000 rounds and shot them all. I've tried a few powders and shot weights. Since I like to do the best I can, i've been weighing each and every powder charge and each and every shot charge (yeah... I know, I know....) I've settled on my favorite which was actually what I started with: 18.2 grains Clays, AA hulls, Win 209, Waa12 wad. It's worked out pretty well so far. I shoot anywhere between 50 and 250 rounds a week at the local club with my 11 year old son. He's been shooting (and prefers) Winchester Universal (Which is GREAT for me, 'cause it costs the same as loading a box). He's seen how my scores have gone up and the clays smoke with my loads, so last month he agreed to let me load his shells. I decided after all the "Base wad stories" that I wanted him to nshoot one piece hulls from his semi-auto just to be on the super safe side. I loaded up some gun clubs I found at the range. He shot a few boxes and really liked the preformance on the clay so now I'm the prefered ammo source.

We have our trap league once a week and shoot 50 birds each. Last week I went back to loading Clays over Green Dot and have comitted to stay with clays. Last week was the first 50 rounds he shot of the Clays. I didn't shoot 'em because I figured I'd get rid of the Green Dot. I always write all the weights and components on the boxes as I load 'em. I was very confident the loads were perfectly safe because I load his a few 10ths under the listed load. Well......... We needed 4 boxes for tonight so I rushed into the back room (I load at work when there is no work to do) I got 'em all done, boxed up and ready to go. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks (or buckshot). The STS hulls are close in loading data to the AA's. I realized I was loading 19.4 grains of Clays instead of 18.4 grains AND HE ALREADY SHOT 50 OF 'EM. Hogdens lists the load at at 11,300psi with 18.4 grains and I had 19.2 grains. Add to that the margin of error, I may have had 19.4. DAMN IT! I'm so thankfull nothing happened and I caught it.

Lesson learned.

Mike

2. BD457

BD457 Member

tripple post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.