1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RELOADING VS. PURCHASING NEW SHELLS???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I am still recuperating, and I am using my mom's computer while visiting her. i have not reloaded a shotgun shell in nearly 20 years. with my present medical and financial situation, i have more time on my hands, so i am considering reloading again. Nowadays, all i only shoot is roughly 25 to 50 targets per week. i use to own a mec grabber years ago, but i sold it. i am thinking of purchasing a lee load all 2, or a mec jr. i want to spend around $50.00 for the reloader. here is my question, in this day and age, can i still reload a shell that is cheaper than purchasing the walmart 4 packs. in my area walmart shells are $20.97 + 5.1% tax. Finacially i am not able to purchase reloading supplies in volume. so here is what i would purchase, 1 lb of red dot, 1,000 primers, 1000 wads, and 1 bag of hard shot. do you think i could reload shells under these circumstances for less than these walmart federal shells? if the answer is yes, do any one of you have a cheap mec 600 jr reloader in 12 gauge, or a lee load all 2 that you would sell me cheap. Recently, with my last trip to intensive care, i actually flat lined, and i am now starting to take life slower and easier. i use to hate reloading, but now, it would give me something to do.
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I figured with your book coming out and the proceeds from the book, you could shoot new premium shells to your heart's desire?! Tom Rhoads

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You flat lined and now you want to take life slower. Time to live it up and forget the reloading, you won't save anything with such small quantities. I wouldn't reload for 50 targets a week.

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I've seen Vietnamese cast using monafilament wrapped around an aluminum can farther than many are able with a rod and reel.

Robert

5. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Senior, The costs would be similar, but probable more for reloading if you have to purchase a loader etc. The only way you can save money reloading is to by in quantities. I usually purchase $1000 bucks worth of components at the same time to get a break in prices. Fortunately I purchased 50,000 primers, four 25 lb kegs of Rex powder, and 50,000 wads when the price was right and can load shells for about 2.75 per box. I enjoy reloading or I would purchase new shells. BRGII

6. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi Steve,
    You could load 7/8 oz. for 16-20yds, and buy new for longer handicap, shootoffs past the 27, and protections. Everything up close, I'm just loading light to make the components go farther, and recoil. Doing the Rem. rebates will help too. Good luck to you. -Patrick Fitzjarrald, Deer Creek Cons. Club

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

If you are really strapped, I would suggest you look into some type of co-operative venture through your local club if you belong to one, or with friend or friends that have a machine. If you could enter some type of agreement on components and time sharing, then you could afford reloading a little easier.

I think a great number of shooters and clubs fail to promote our sport by helping others who don't have space, time or resources that others are blessed with. Helping another shooter or loaning him time on a press is just one more little thing that can make the difference between our sport growing or waning. People just aren't as inventive as they used to be.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No, you won't be able to beat the price of the walmart federal 4 pack shells by loading as you described. You could make better ammo or special loadings and you could have a good time doing that but it won't save money.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

AVOID the Lee Loadall.....it is a POS! Look around for a used MEC.

BUT...at the quantities you are talking about...it doesn't pay to reload....unless you enjoy it and need something to occupy your time.

Don't sweat the 'flat line' bet ya didn't see any 'light at the end of a tunnel' or any of that crap!

A couple of years ago, I was on the table getting an angioplasi and remember saying "Hey Doc! I think I'm having another heart attack!" Then I remember hm looking down at me and asking how I was feeling...I asked why and he said that he'd tell me later. As I was being wheeled into Cardiac Care , instead of the room I was in, I aske the nurse why the red marks on my chest? He said "Paddle marks....you went flatline on us, took three tried to get you restarted!"

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good for you BRGII, I'm sure you made Steve feel a hell of a lot better and helping him out by letting him know how deep your pockets are and his aren't.

Steve, There is a gun club you obviously shoot at. Why not ask around about buying some supplies in the quantities you can handle. There is nothing wrong with Lee for the time being until you get built back up. You didn't mention a scale though and this is an absolute necessity. I wish you well.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I just purchased componants cost me 83.50 for what you have listed
    18grains and 1 1/8 oz cost me 3.65 per box 14.60 per party pack.
    so yes you save money.

I would get a 600jr over a Lee.

12. warren

warren Member

I recently quit loading because of the cost mostly but also the inconvience of chasing down spent hulls and I think it depends soley on your own desires whether you load or not. When we do all these calculations about reloading we don't factor in the waste, I know of nobody that has not spilled both powder and shot plus the mess it makes that you have to clean up. Just my opinion.

warren

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Senior,

I have a Mec jr I'll let you use for as long as you want for free. Problem is getting it to you. Kids want to go visit OldWorldWisconsin in Eagle, WI tomorrow, July 4. Where are you in relation to that? Or I can have a friend of mine bring it to the WI state shoot. He goes every year, but I'm attending a trap shooting clinic down here in IL that weekend.

The Jr has a fully adjustable bar (shot and powder) and is complete except for the starter crimp. It's there, but the brass insert that actually does the starting is missing. Should be cheap to get. I'm not using the Jr and I need to make room for a 9000 to load some steel.

I'll even throw in a pound of 473AA powder for free that somebody gave to me. I've got a reference to a recipe around here somewhere.

Let me know, Joe

14. joe kuhn

Senior,

See some recipes for the 473 at the above link. You're going to need a scale. Don't do anything without a scale. That I can't help you with. I've only got one of those.

I figure this is a trade of all the fun articles about you and Luther. I've enjoyed reading them.

Joe

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Joe- thanks for the offer, but after hearing the cost to reload, i think i will just purchase 4 packs from walmart. i really appreciate your genorosity.
    thanks anyway,
    steve

16. joe kuhn

Ok. Good luck to you.

17. gold40

gold40 Member

To me the greater benefit of reloading is the ability to use 1 ounce reloads at lesser velocity, with less recoil. I probably do save a ittle bit of money, but the recoil reduction is more important.

JERRY

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

For what humor those stories gave me every time I read them , I would gladly reload a few boxes a week for you if you were in my club . Too bad I am too far away . Get well Steve .

19. joe kuhn

Senior Smoke,

I look forward to the book as well.

Joe

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don't waste your time reloading, shooting only 25-50 shells a week. One has to buy in case lots to really get an advanage over cheap Wally world shells. Unless of course, you just like reloading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reload shells vs buying new