1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading VS Factory

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Felice Taddz, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felice Taddz

Felice Taddz Member

Just wanted to ask you guys that reload how your costs compare to the new factory shell prices? I might want to start reloading depending on what you guys think.

2. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

If you're shooting what used to be cheap "PROMO" loads-there is no real advantage except for about the same money you can get good performance, good shot & cleaner powder, you can get all the once fired "Promo" hulls for free at almost any range---on the other hand you can easily save over $3.00/box when compared to Premium STS, Nitro & AA shells----Phil

3. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

I just reloaded some 1oz # 8 with 16.5gr. nitro 100 powder and claybuster wads in federal estate hulls with all my component costs they came out to 4.48 a box
    thats still over a .60c savings a box compared to buying the shells from wal mart like chatbrat said when loading a premium nitro 27 type shell your going to save at least 2.00 a box

4. Felice Taddz

Felice Taddz Member

Are you guys factoring in anything for your time? From what you've told me so far no matter what factory shell type you compare it to, you always save money. Are all of you that replied located in the US or some in Canada, I'm in Canada thats why I'm asking. What reloading equipment is the best, Mec?

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The question is where in Canada can you get decent prices on components?

You have to see what prices you can purchase components at and run the cost through the cost calculator, to include taxes, than check against your cost to purchase factory.

If I purchased reloading supplies from Gander Mt., I'm better off buying cheap factory shells, as no deals at Gander Mt. for those who reload.

A used MEC (progressive) is recommended.

As for your time...

You can put out four boxes in under 20 minutes if you have everything laid out. I do it in less, but that may just be me.

If your watching dollars or trying to cut cost than it does not really matter how long it takes as long as the cost of components is less than factory.

6. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I'm retired, my time is worthless, only things I have to do is shoot, reload, shoot reload,etc----other incendentles---mow the lawn, cook sometimes, keep from agravating the Admiral--I'm the Capt.----I got two very inexpensive single stage MEC's----Phil

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Felice, Joe is right. Only you can find out how much you can buy reloading components for, as compared to the price of new premium shells or the cheaper new economy loads. If you are shooting trap from inside the 25 yard line on handicap, you do not need premium shells in my opinion. The economy shells of today will work just fine. I stopped reloading 12 ga. shells because I can buy the economy shells for about 25 cents to 50 cents more than I can reload for. I feel I do not need to make any special loads that I can not buy. My time is worth more than a few cents a box to reload, and have to save and carry back to house the empty hulls and have a work place set up just to reload. I hope this helps you make up your mind. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

If I charge myself what I make at my job, I'd be losing lots of money reloading. I see reloading as a seperate hobby. I would much rather reload shells than sitting around watching TV, or God forbid, going shopping with Mrs. hornet. Reloading keeps me involved in the sport when I can't go shooting.

As far as equipment goes...you can't go wrong starting out with a MEC 600 jr. single stage loader. They are easy to set up and use; and it will allow you to see if you like reloading. You can always sell it if you don't. The most important piece of reloading equipment that you'll need is a good scale. Digital or beam, your choice. Never trust bushing charts. The second most important thing is a reliable manual, like Lyman's latest volume.

Good luck, and prepare to get hooked!

9. alpine

alpine TS Member

I bought my lead a couple of years ago at $16.00 a bag. So my reloads are $2.75 a box. I have a couple of PW loaders and one is set up for 28 ga. I'm retired so my time is already paid for.

10. Felice Taddz

Felice Taddz Member

Interesting thoughts! For myself I'm not retired, so I'm just trying to way out the difference's, the last I heard a flat of shells (cheap ones) went for $58. Joe is right, and thats what I'm trying to figure out, "The question is where in Canada can you get decent prices on components?" so what better place to ask some questions. If you guys are reloading for lets say $38 a flat then thats a savings of $20 thats sounds good to me and I can make time for it.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I can tell you one thing, "if reloads were an advantage all of the Top Guns would be shooting them, they are not so take that for what its worth" ... They do shoot premium loads with the exception of "Big Leo" who claims to shoot Challengers and he seems to be holding his own ... Its a load of BS when anyone tells you they can reload a better shell than the new ones from the factory because its not going to happen on a home reloaders machine though some may come close, compared to what the factory has ... Thats just the way it is ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

If most of the "Big Dogs" paid what the non-sponsered Joe Schmo's paid they might use reloads also---they make alot of bux, with clinics, videos, etc. Winchester & Remington if they don't give them the shells for free, most likely give it to them at cost---when I was racing cars in the early 60's my sponsors gave me stuff that wasn't available to the public--I was their free test facility----Phil

13. Felice Taddz

Felice Taddz Member

I hear what your saying and I agree, reloads quailty compaired to factory quailty, I know who wins that one. I'm a "Joe Schmo" not going to win anything big, not any time soon, working on it BUT not there by a long shot. Thats what it comes down to, so for me reloads are an option. I have shot some of my friends reloads did very well with them, so for me I guess its just a price thing. Ata shoots I would use factory, practice I don't think reloads would hurt. I used to shoot Challengers and I liked them, I used to get them for a good price too.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's just not true!!!! I have patterned to many shells (new and reloaded), and my reloads most always pattern better than new shells (AA & STS). It's a fact Jack!!!

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

You said you shot your friends reloads ?? Why don`t you go to their house and and see what kind of set up they are using first , then decide what fits your pocket book as far as reloader . I disagree with a single stage first because most of the time you will up-grade and time is money when it takes 8 times longer to load a box . Then to save even more , only load 1 oz loads . With the high price of components , I can still load a box for around $4 or less if I get reclaimed for $1 per # , otherwise it`s $156 per 100. A nice used reloader can be purchased for $150-$200 . Good Luck

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Felice, this thread just made me run the numbers again to see if anything has changed. Powder, clay dot 96 dollars for 8 pounds, cheddite primers 125.00 for 5000, wads at 73.00 dollars for 5000, and lead at 44.00 dollars for 25 pounds. This is the cheapest price I can buy new components at current prices. That comes out to $4.84 per box with no tax, for a 1 and 1/8 oz. load.Add sales tax to that number and it comes to $5.15 a box. I can buy a walmart 4-pack load for 5.25 a box plus tax, (21.00 four pack). This does not count the start up cost to reload. $100 to $500 for the cost of the reloader. Then to get these prices you have to buy in bulk for your components. Prices above are good for those 3 items, but you need to buy at least 10 bags of shot to start at $440.00 or more for lead only then the other prices for other 3, plus reloader. Thats over $900 to get loader ($175) about plus all components at my prices. You then will need a spot in your house to set-up and reload with room for all your hulls and components and misc. Oh I forgot the scale you are going to need to buy as well. That's over a $1000 to get set-up. I am not trying to stop you from reloading or from starting to. It is a great hobby if you enjoy making your own shells. I still load in the smaller ga.s 28's and 410's. Its fun and saves me alot of dollars in doing so.But for some people with a busy live it can be a real pain in the XXX. Please go to your friends house and see his set-up and make some shells see if you like it, before you put in alot of money to buy a reloader. He will let you know where and how much components cost in your area. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

17. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Damn right, for the last 20,000 of my reloads, not one single failure. OTOH, just this month I had three dud factory shells (Federal Top Gun) in one flat. In each instance the primer was deeply recessed. Hell, I even had a Top Gun once that had the primer in sideways, still have it around here somewhere I think. Lest anyone think the problem is confined to Federal cheapies, Gun Clubs and all other cheapies have had their portion of dud shells in my experience.

As to the assumed superiority of factory (premium) loads over reloads: What the "Big Dogs" shoot is not a conclusive argument. If I shot as many shells as they do, I wouldn't want to reload that much either. And if I got any "incentives" from the manufacturers to shoot factory ammo, I sure wouldn't refuse.

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Jeff,

You forgot the wad-knocker-outer. lol

19. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Just won $1431 using reloads! Shot 21-25-25-25 and bought in to the Perfect 50's.! Will never...never...never shot factory shells when mine work soooo well!

20. Felice Taddz

Felice Taddz Member

I must say thanks for all the info! Getting both sides here and thats great. I'm still on the fence, I'm not in a rush since I still have some flats left but I'll be doing more research, thanks for all the info guys! If you have anymore please pass it on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting reloading vs factory