1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading vs buying new

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

The past year I have listened to fellow shooters about buying new shells in lieu of reloading. We also had discussions about the price of shot. Also, it was discussed that lead was a commodity like anything else and was subject to price fluctuations. It seems that "what goes around comes around". Shooters that sold their reloading equipment and supplies will possibly regret the decision. In my opinion, (and that's all it is) the coming year will benefit anyone who stayed the course and held on to their reloader. It might take a while; but when new shells are costing $60-$80 a flat; the reloader will be loading for $40-$50 a flat. Shot will come down. Maybe not as much as we would like, but $30 per bag is not unrealistic. Saving 35%-40% will make the avid reloader smile again. Again this is my opinion. But when I can reload my shells, (the exact way that I want them), and save at least $20 a flat; it's a win-win situation.

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

esoxhunter, I agree with you. Prices will probably come down, I fell good about that happening. I reload shells because I enjoy it. I really do enjoy it. I find it to be a stress relief thing and it is not very time consumeing for the amount I shoot even at a period when I find myself shooting alot.

I started picking up my small game and bird hunting over the last couple of years. My trapshooting regularly has dropped off quite a bit during that time. I still have alot of shot that I was buying for about $18.00, I hope I missed the big spike in prices but I'm sure I'll be effected somehow, someway.

3. Shotgun5

Shotgun5 Member

AS of today lead has dropped $1000.00 a ton since sept.Todays price is 2600.00 a ton and in sept it was over$3600.00 a ton! So you should see shot coming down soon.

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

As of todays prices there is still $30 of raw lead in a 25 pound bag. Add to that the labor of dropping it into shot, the rest of the processing, and profit and we still have a long way to go but at least it's heading in the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reloading vs buying trap